Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lookin for help on removal and Installing trans. (first timer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin for help on removal and Installing trans. (first timer)

Im about to learn something new. lol I have a 97 slt yukon, el60e trans and I want to learn so ive taken on the project of removal and installing on my own for the first time, I love to learn about cars. Any help on the dos and donts would be great.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am in the middle of doing my first converter swap on my formula. I would recomend having a friend help you, I took mine out alone but would much easier with another set of hands. If you don't have enough ratchet extensions to make about two and a half feet , you might look into getting a long extension, it will make the top bolts much easier. It is not very hard to do just time consuming and make sure you get the shifter cable out of the way before dropping the tranny down, they will hang on the pan and break, I know from experience. MY transmission did not want to break free from the motor it took me a while to pry it loose. Just takes patience and time,but you will feel much better doing it yourself istead of paying someone to do it. Gook luck!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I started today, man, I had to take out the starter, it was in the way, then had to take apart the u joint, its in the way, then My exaust runs right across the trans, I was tryin to losen the bolts but they aint given so I will use my grinder to cut them tomorrow. then I got most of the bolts off the trans, I was reading the book. it says that I will have to disconnect the rear in drive shaft for the trans to come out, that looks like a lot of bolts and they all rusty, well I will find out tomorrow, we got 30ins of snow and I have a six car driveway and all the rest of the house to shovel,, that wore me out, so tomorrow I will get at the rest and keep ya posted, now one question> the book says to mark the converter and flywheel to put it back in the same place but I putting in a rebuilt that will be in a different position, why are they saying to mark it? they dont explain that part, does anyone know why?
443-629-2128 to call me!