Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conflicting info: 3500 stall is to big for bolt-on daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conflicting info: 3500 stall is to big for bolt-on daily driver?

Hi everyone, I know this has been beaten to death, but I need some advice here. I just spoke with a sponsor on this board, and was told the 3500 stall is way to big for a bolt-on daily driver. I thought I was making an informed decision when I purchased a ssf 3500 stall. I also bought a B&M 24K cooler. The guy told me that the shifts would be real sloppy and soft and no amount of tuning can fix that (or even a shift kit for that matter). Sloppy shifts means more slippage, which means more heat, which means dead tranny.

What do I do? This really sucks. Now I'm more scared than ever to put this mo fo in.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

..I dunno.. I'm running the Vig 3600 in my car with the mods in the sig.. My car is a daily driver and shifts are nice and crisp..
Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Launching!

It is not the tranny slipping that is causing the soft shifts it is because the shifts are made before the converter has reached an rpm where it locks up or becomes more efficient and in turn this builds more heat and that is what the trans cooler is for. You are not going to have a converter that does not have this effect its the nature of the beast. Of coarse the less stall the less heat and performance increase. Also once the clutch in the converter locks up then it is not an issue. I hope this helps. I believe unless most of your driving is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic you will be happy with your choise.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

You know, I'm really pissed right now. I can't find any competent shops around here. Everyone wants to think they know what they're talking about, but when it comes down to it they don't know ****.

I've been debating a TC install for about 2 years now, and have read about all the ups and downs to a TC. I've even heard from countless individuals about their experiences with TC's.

I called another shop (sponsor), and they wanted 500 for a cooler and TC install. When I called a few days later acting like a different customer, the price went up to 600 for just the TC install! What gives? I figured I could tackle the cooler install myself, but didn't want to sound like a cheap bastard on the phone, so I called again and asked for just a TC install and the price shot up to 600.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Launching!

I am pretty sure you can beat the hell out of that price. There a shop local to me that does the converter swap and furnishes fluid for $160.00 which I believe is very fair.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Default Rip Offs!

Originally Posted by kpowr82
You know, I'm really pissed right now. I can't find any competent shops around here. Everyone wants to think they know what they're talking about, but when it comes down to it they don't know ****.

I've been debating a TC install for about 2 years now, and have read about all the ups and downs to a TC. I've even heard from countless individuals about their experiences with TC's.

I called another shop (sponsor), and they wanted 500 for a cooler and TC install. When I called a few days later acting like a different customer, the price went up to 600 for just the TC install! What gives? I figured I could tackle the cooler install myself, but didn't want to sound like a cheap bastard on the phone, so I called again and asked for just a TC install and the price shot up to 600.
wow .. that's a lotta dough for a TC install... I paid ~$350 at TTP and those guys are great!!

I'm sure there are other sponsors in MI.. I would even drive a bit extra for a good shop..
Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

im running a 3800/2.6 yank in my daily driver with a 2.73 rear and it feels great
Old 02-10-2005, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the world of b.s. artists.
My first converter was a 3000 Yank. A local shop that advertsed "performance converters' wanted 5 bills to install it. Dealer wanted $600. The guy couldn't understand why anyone would want such a 'big' stall converter. Jerk. Everyone on the board said go at least 3500.
They were right. See signature.
Finally found 2 shops that quoted $300+ fluid and seal. The shop I chose charged $360 with the cooler.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PonchoFan
Welcome to the world of b.s. artists.
true... it's like a Wheels shop owner near my place swears up and down how I can't run any wider than 245s up front and 255s in the rear and refuses to believe these cars [WS6] come with 275s all around.. should've seen his expression when I said that.. LOL

oh well..
Old 02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will a bigger converter be looser than stock? Yep

Is it worth it? Definitely

I run a 4200. It's a little loose with 2.73 but with the 3.73's it's great. You will run into people that say not to do it.....they have either not driven a high stalled car or they are one of the "old school" guys that think you are nuts for going over 3,000.

It's too bad you don't live closer to SC. I know a couple of guys that would swap it for a six pack of beer. I like Budlight...if you ever head down this way. Good luck
Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

We are running the exact setup in a 2000 SS that you are thinking about buying. Don't give it another thought, have someone install it and you will love it. btw 350.00 install at speed shop in Houston
Alan
Old 02-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I got my 3200 people thought I was nuts and the converter was way to big for a bolt on car. Paid 250 for the install
Old 02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, hit up some eastside locals on the board, there are plenty, look in the midwest forum here and look for the SE MI boys thread and you'll find plenty of guys in your area! And have them help you or get you a good shop to go to for the install, and a 3500 is just fine on these cars Good luck
Old 02-10-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AK's WS6
Dude, hit up some eastside locals on the board, there are plenty, look in the midwest forum here and look for the SE MI boys thread and you'll find plenty of guys in your area! And have them help you or get you a good shop to go to for the install, and a 3500 is just fine on these cars Good luck
i'm planning on installing a tci 4200 myself pretty soon(with a 55k cooler )
and i'm hoping to hit 11s.....i was thinking of have a place do it and joel's on joy kept being brought up for tranny work in my searching......but yeah, go over to the local section or http://www.sembmusclecarclub.com/forums/ and ask around....
Old 02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard the Yank 3000 is a good converter. Capable of cutting 0.6-0.7s off your ET and 1.7 60'. The SS series are supposed to be a harder hitting converter due to higher TQ multiplication, better for 3.42 and below.

I'm torn between a SS3200 and Y3000, but I guess if you want the SS3200 and you wanted more it wouldn't cost much to get it restalled to 3600.

I understand your concern. You are better to go 3000/3200 to satisfy your hesitation of going bigger than going bigger and hating it.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MNR-0

I understand your concern. You are better to go 3000/3200 to satisfy your hesitation of going bigger than going bigger and hating it.
i don't know from personal experience, but from researching on this board for a year now i haven't read one person say they wish they had gotten a smaller tc.....almost all have gone from a low 3k to a high 3k or low 4k and wish'd they had gone bigger first.......
Old 02-10-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a vig3200(3500 ish) in my daily driver. It works great. You could still feel shifts on a stock tune, even better when I firmed them up. The transmission will actually slip less at part throttle shifts, this is because the looser converter will absorb some of the sudden rpm change. Don't back down on your stall speed, you'll be hitting yourself in the head if you do.

A lot of people have not caught up with new technology and will say anything is way to big for a daily driver. This is far from the truth. With my cutout closed you wouldn't even know I have a converter.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I have ran a 3200, 3600, 4200, & 4400 stall converters on a stock internal car. The car had the best results with the 4400 w/3.42 gears...and it was my daily driver. I still dont get people complaining about driveability with converters, its not really that bad.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

call a shop and ask them how much to R & R a tranny. It is as simple as pulling it down and replacing the converter, so should def not be more than 200ish. I ran a SSF3500 in mine for almost a year (with a cooler of course) and it was great. I am since cammed out and am up to a 4500 with a TH350. It is a little weird driving in the street, but definitely doable

coker
Old 02-11-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Okay, this is exactly what I wanted to hear guys, thanks. I'm gonna check out sembmuscle for sure. Actually, I spoke to a buddy of mine, and a shop about 2 miles away from me is opening up. They have an open house Monday, I'll check it out. Worst comes to worst, I'll end up on my back doing it myself anyway.

Again, thanks for all the input everybody, that's why I love coming here.

Quick Reply: Conflicting info: 3500 stall is to big for bolt-on daily driver?