Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe converter thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe converter thread.....

Well, I was reading some post's on here and I cant find them now(sorry) but a question came up about a vig 3200 or 3600. Cant remember which. But it got me thinking. I have a vig 4000 still never installed(getting ready to head to Iraq so want some fun when i come back) but somebody here at home told me a TCI is going to hit harder, a yank is more efficent, but they would still take the vig. I'm not trying to advertise for vig, hell i have never riden in a car with one. But what im asking here is what are the differences between the 3- TCI, VIG, and Yank. Can there be that much difference? I didnt recieve a str rating with the stall, dont know if its normal or not, but anyway just post and let me know what you all think.

AGAIN.....Im not trying to say one is better than the others, I just want some new people to the bord to read this before they decide to go get a converter. Alot of people, like me, dont know the difference between all three. thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

I'm interested on different opinons on each converter as well, I'm kind of in the market.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

The Vig converters are well made & you wont find to many people that had problems with them. I personal perfer the Vig3200, The bigger Vig's 60' great but people say they loose a little on the top end? I have personal own 1 Yank Stl3200, no problems with it at all but once I started to mod the car it hit way to hard to be consistance at the track with my setup. The TCI converter's seem to do well but I have read were there have been some problem's with them, Not saying that Vig or Yank hasn't.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Launching!

TTT
Old 07-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Racer

I have a vigilante 3000. Had it since feb. this year. Havent had ANY problems out of it yet. Any even though,for having 4.10s,this is a relatively small stall it still picked up 4 tenths consistantly. Which i was very impressed with. Best mod. for the money yet!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slacker
The Vig converters are well made & you wont find to many people that had problems with them. I personal perfer the Vig3200, The bigger Vig's 60' great but people say they loose a little on the top end? I have personal own 1 Yank Stl3200, no problems with it at all but once I started to mod the car it hit way to hard to be consistance at the track with my setup. The TCI converter's seem to do well but I have read were there have been some problem's with them, Not saying that Vig or Yank hasn't.

I heard that to about the yank. Isnt that a good thing that it hit to hard??? With tires would it have been better? thanks

Looking for as much info as you can give...thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

You want the converter to hit, but not to shock the tires. The yank I had was set up for a 2:73 rear, once I added power & swap the rear it just hit to hard for that set up. You need the right converter for any set up. I perfer the vig just because it does hit good but not all at once. You really need to experience it for yourself, try to get rides with a couple of different converter's. If you had the same converter stall (3200) but different str's the one with the smaller str will be easier to launch on the street. If the converter hit too hard you just going to spin or have to easy into the thottle. If your going to run really good tires @ the track then the smaller str will feel lazier off the line. I like the Vig3200 because it a good all around converter, it got me into the 11's & I still can launch pretty hard on the street (nittos=street & MT dr's=track). Im sure any of the companies can make a converter for your set up just tell them what your looking for. I have ran up against alot of big converters & the guys weren't able to take advantage of it because they didn't have there set up right.

Hope this helps
Old 07-28-2005, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Slacker, I am guessing your vig got you in the 11's with your cam? IMHO there is no such thing as "shocking the tires" you just have to set up the suspension and run good tires, like you said. My Yank SS4200 hits very hard, it has done a 1.50 on ET streets, and a 1.55 on 17" (315) Nittos. It also ran 11.73 on a stock internal, full weight car. My buddy runs a PT4000 in a totally stock suspension SI car and cuts 1.54 on MT drag radials. So my opinion is get a big TC, and get good tires, and you'll be fine. I like Yank, even though their turnaround stinks if you have to get the TC checked out or repaired.

Ed
Old 07-28-2005, 12:43 PM
11 Second Club

Yes the cam did help me get into the 11's, And I know that a bigger stall would help my time alot more if the track down here in South Florida didn't suck (Moroso). That's why I perfer the softer hitting Vig & not to say my 72k stock trans would disagree. But when someone who's not sure about different hitting converter ask what the differences are. I still say that a hard hitting converter is basicly close to dropping the clutch (shocks the tires) conpaired to riding the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, If I thought Moroso could handle a bigger converter I would of installed a PT4000 some time ago.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Hum...good info guys...keep it comming
Old 07-28-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

I'll stick with Yank, if you are serious about racing go with at least a 4000. I can still run fine on the street, just takes a little more throttle finesse. Like slacker said give any of the three a call and explain what you have and what you want to do and they will set it up for you. With Mickey Thompson Drag Radials or ET streets I have never had a traction problem. 275 Nittos would not hook at all. Pics are worth 1000 words, remember this is a stock internal car:

Old 07-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Launching!

WOW...I want my car to do that..lol