Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock trans cooler temps.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Stock trans cooler temps.

Anyone know the transmission fluid temperature as cooled while running it through a multy-cooling type radiator. Multy-cooling meaning an engine cooling radiator with separate cooling ports for transmission fluid &/or oil. Is adding the smaller transmission only radiator better than through the stock ports w/ fans? Any fluid temperature readings comparing the two methods?
Thank-you
Old 09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen people on this board that bypass the factory cooler (built into the radiator) and rely solely on a seperate tranny cooler. They typically achieve a 20* or more drop in trans fluid temp compared with the temps that they would see using the stock cooler only (including the 160 T-Stat and matching fans).

Everyone with the factory set-up needs an external tranny cooler once they add a stall. Using a 160 T-stat helps but is not enough for any car that is run hard.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, that's very helpfull. Which is the prefferd method for the separate cooler? The cooler with a thermoswitch controlled fan or the one that is air cooled only?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

The F-body has sufficent airflow that a fan cooler is not needed, except in rare circumstances. A 19k or 24k plate type cooler mounted on the AC Condensor generally works fine. Combined with a 160 T-stat and matching fans, that will keep the temps right at 150 - 180*. Some mount the cooler horizontally close to the airdam ("Dope Style") if they have a FTRA or SSRA set up that blocks the condensor.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two B&M 24K coolers, mounted to the back of the front bumper bar. I have also removed all the plastic shrouding and relocated the washer bottle to behind and below the left headlamp. I cut holes through the bumper absorber and mounted the coolers behind the holes. I can feel air pulled through the holes, and the coolers, when the fans come on, so I know it works. It even allows some ramming effect, at speed, as I confirmed this with a regular house fan. I found, even with my fans lower, and my 160* thermostat, that in traffic, when temps' are around 100+*, with the A/C on, my tranny temps' would easily get up to about 200*. Onthe freeway, the temps' don' t get above 130-150*. My coolant temps' would get as high as 230*, and keep climbing,ith BOTH coolers in front of the condensor. When I had them dope, I did not get enough airflow, under similar conditions. Some people have good luck with dope, or mounting in front of the condensor, but, in the summer time, in my area, conditions are more extreme. With my setup now, under similar conditions, coolant doesn' t get above 215* and tranny doesn' t get above 180*. I do have my lockups adjusted pretty low, but, it helps with fuel economy and keep the heat in the tranny a little lower.

I know there is a such thing as too cool, so I am working on some sort of block-off as winter is coming.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of 2 coolers because of the pressure drop. I'd bypass the stock cooler in your situation. If your coolant gets that hot, all that does is add heat to the tranny fluid. For winter, you can probably run a single cooler. Just get a second set of lines and bypass one of the coolers. Leave it mounted, but plugged.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by radz282003
I have two B&M 24K coolers, mounted to the back of the front bumper bar. I have also removed all the plastic shrouding and relocated the washer bottle to behind and below the left headlamp. I cut holes through the bumper absorber and mounted the coolers behind the holes.

Thanks for the post. That's an interesting set up. After reading the responses here & discussing my set up with Fuddle racing, I have a much better understanding of transmission cooling. Should have the parts to hook up in the next week or so. Thanks again everyone