Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission shot ?

If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance...

My car climbs up in RPM's, but the car doesnt move, just hear a loud rev...No the car is not in neutral. Its an automatic transmission, I have checked all the oils and everything. Should I do a tranny flush ? Or is the tranmission on its last leg ? Anything guys, thanks

EDIT: The car eventually moves, just feels like a launch from the stall

It does this at times, and at times runs perfect
Old 01-27-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably on its last leg, but check the fluid, see if its red, at the right level, and smells "sweet", if it smells burnt and is black then add some fluid and see if that helps, if not you can put it on the "3" selection on the shifter and see if it moves, if it does then your OD is messed up and the tranny needs to be rebuilt, if it doesnt, your tranny still needs to be rebuilt. It sucks i know, mine did the same thing and i ended up getting ripped off and paid 2k for a stock rebuild, now im about to be paying the same for a stage II w/a converter. Its a good time to get a converter in there though!
Old 01-28-2006, 07:04 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Default Only A Few Days Left!!!

I agree that the trans is shot. Either trans or tc! At which point it needs to come out. If the tc is bad you better have the trans checked. Metal from it is trashing your pump. FLT has only a few days left on their 15% off special. And thats about how much longer your trans will probably live. www.finisnlinetrans.com or 1-630-350-7776
Old 01-28-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like that happened to me...I only had 3rd gear. Ended up bneing a tranny cooler line that popped out. Check the fluid level and all the lines to the trans. If all that is good, then you're probably screwed...Sorry bro.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Here is an update: I drove it to get a bite to eat and on the way their it ran like a dog. Kept doing the same thing and it feels like it wouldnt grab the gear, just went up to about 2K RPM and then shake a little and then take off, out of frustration, I smashed the pedal and on the way back ran perfect. Im just very frustrated and need help fast. Anything guys..ANYTHING...thanks. I dont want to drop a lot of money on a tranny if I dont need it, I might need to take it to a shop to get it diagnosed.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DaGeneral
Here is an update: I drove it to get a bite to eat and on the way their it ran like a dog. Kept doing the same thing and it feels like it wouldnt grab the gear, just went up to about 2K RPM and then shake a little and then take off, out of frustration, I smashed the pedal and on the way back ran perfect. Im just very frustrated and need help fast. Anything guys..ANYTHING...thanks. I dont want to drop a lot of money on a tranny if I dont need it, I might need to take it to a shop to get it diagnosed.
I would do just that, Take it to a reputable shop and have them scan your pcm for codes. It might be that the trans is going into limp mode(3rd gear start) intermittently. You could have a electrical problem somewhere that's causing this. I would do this asap so your not possibly causing more damage to the trans.

Chuck
Old 01-28-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, I went to a shop and they scanned for codes both in the Engine and the Transmission but nothing came up. I thought maybe it was the torque converter but they thought it was the tranny. They said to do the tranny flush and if the liquid is burned within a week or 2, to just replace it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Update: The car no longer goes above 2500 RMP's. It doesnt sound like its being forced but Im pretty sure the tranny is now dead. Took me about 1 minute to get up to 65 MPH. Thanks for your guys help.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like worn out forward clutches, time for a rebuild.