Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Valve Body for 4l60-e

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Old Drag Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual Valve Body for 4l60-e

Bear with me everyone as I'm old and senile. I swear I remember seeing something about a manual valve body for the 4l60-e on here about a year or so ago. I searched using "manual valve body" and just "valve body" but my search was fruitless. Anybody else remember this or know anything about the availability of a manual valve body for the 4l60-e? I'm just tired of my tranmission shifting when the damned computer tells it to shift. And yes, I've adjusted the computer using LS1 edit to supposedly make the tranny shift when I want it to but it's just not the same. No matter what there's always a little delay and since I've got pretty much a race car at this point, that's simply not acceptable. I'm fighting the fact that I need to switch over to a TH350 or TH400 but I may have no choice unless a manual valve body is available or soon to be available for my 4l60-e. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:48 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try the Transgo HD3 KIT!! Hope this helps...
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Sweet Cheeks

I know Chuck @ Finish Line Transmissions has done it for a few locals.

I'd give him a call before switching to a 3 speed.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

i think that the trans-go shift kit will accomplish the same thing. i have seen posts about this before. and i think they do make a manual valve but the people suggested the shift kit instead. hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you looking to force upshifts at the desired RPM, or to reduce shift time, as your primary goal? There are manual valve bodies (I believe from TransGo), which allow you to hold a gear or backshift at will, but I'm not sure if they allow you to force an upshift at WOT (at a lower RPM). Lots of people have had trouble keeping the tranny together after any sort of shift kit install though. =\

The main problem is, it's tough to get that instant shifting you're looking for on a stock 4L60E. They just don't seem to like the increased line pressure. Anyone with a shift kit or manual valve body care to comment? I'd be curious to see if anybody has gotten them to hold up long term.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Just to add one thing, you could *definitely* accomplish this with a fully built 4L60E (rockon or FLP), as the internals would be able to handle the shifts w/ no delay.... But then you may just want to go straight to a TH400 if it's a dedicated race car.

Anyone try this on a stocker, though?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Old Drag Racer

Thanks for the info. I've been gone all day and just getting back online now. I called Dave Rockwell and he suggested the Trans-Go kit that, if effect anyhow, turns the valve body into a manual one. My transmission is already fully "built" with everything fancy that's available for the 4l60-e already installed in it. However, there was still a delay in the shifting once I moved the shifter with it hitting the rev limiter (set at 6500) on the 1-2 shift and never making the 2-3 shift with it just riding the rev limiter until such time as I lifted my foot off the throttle before making the shift. Even when it did make the shift I don't consider it what I'd call firm. It won't bark the tires on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift takes maybe a second to execute once it starts. Damn I hate these transmissions. I mean, seriously, I've got the "who's who" list of crap in it and the damned thing still won't shift. BTW, the computer is calling for the 1-2 shift at 5500 and the 2-3 shift at 4000 RPM in case you think the computer isn't calling for the shift early enough. I want to bypass the computer control altogether as I'm just tired of my transmission having to dial up the computer and ask for permission to shift once I tell it I'm ready to shift. Too much BS. The Trans-Go kit is supposed to be able to eliminate any computer control over the transmission and allow it to shift hard enough to knock the fillings out of your teeth. That's what I want. This isn't a real street car but I don't want to switch to a TH30/400 now because I don't have enough power yet to pull their much taller 1st gear. I've only cut a 1.57 60' with the 4l60's super low 1st gear and 3.90 rear gears. This is leaving WFO. For now I've got to have that low 1st gear that the 4l60 affords me until I get enough power to pull the taller 1st gear in the TH350 or TH400. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Riding the rev limiter on the 2-3 with the shift set for 4000rpm? Just be prepared that there may be more causing this than just the ECU. It could be a line pressure problem or an issue of slipping also. Have you considered going vacuum modulated? That will take even *more* of the ECU out of it, and it shows great results.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Old Drag Racer

Yeah, my tranny guy has given up on this transmission. It's FUBAR'd for sure. I have two transmissions so he's just going to put all the good stuff he installed in tranny #1 in tranny #2 along with the extras to make it full manual shift with no input whatsoever needed from the ECU. Something's going on inside tranny #1, some demon or like occurence. My local exorcist is out of town so whatever demon is residing inside that tranny will just have to remain there. He should have tranny #2 up and running by next week so hopefully I'll get to try the car out a fews times before installing the 408. I just want to make sure the tranny is up to par before asking it to live behind a (hopefully) 600 horsepower motor. If I get half a season out of this fully "built" tranny, I think I'll be satisfied. I've heard of these transmissions handling up to 700 horsepower but I've never heard of even one that would handle even stock power reliably. My car isn't going to be a garage queen. I'm going to race the **** out of it, hard and often. I figure in season I'll be making more than 100 passes on it a month, hence my belief that it won't hold up more than half a season. Those guys that have theirs last all season but don't make even a 100 passes a year are just an unfair comparison to what I'm going to do. If I get 6 months out of it, I'll be happier than a puppy dog with three tails.

Quick Reply: Manual Valve Body for 4l60-e