Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does car bog so bad on track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Why does car bog so bad on track?

Newbie here on first post, I have a 2000 Camaro SS A4 with minor bolt-ons. With only a air box lid, ran a best of 8.5 sec. at 85mph on 1/4 track. I have added an exhaust and transgo shift kit and had the car dyno tuned so the car feels stronger than ever. Question is why will the car easily light them up on street and at the track sit and then take off. The more the car is power brake, the worse it takes off. Now the best I have gotten is 8.8sec at 82mph in the same track on multiple days? What I do notice is that the converter feels like if its locking after 20mph and car lunges forward strong. So I am thinking stock converter is going bad. Any suggestions? Please respond so I can upgrade too a stall converter if it is going bad.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:30 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever think that at the track you get better traction. You say that the tc seems to be locking up at about 20mph. Do you mean the tcc or stall? If it's the tcc have it changed in the tune.And by the way I think your racing at an 1/8 mile track not a 1/4 mile track.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:53 AM
Teching In

I'm sorry I meant 1/8 mile track. Converter just feels weird because the car will not leave out of the hole like it used to. Like I mentioned, after 20mph the rpm's will pick up quick and will accelarate. Below that car is a slug
Old 02-18-2006, 08:49 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm no tuner but sounds like some thing happened when your tune was done. If you can go back see if the problem gets better if not maybe your tc is coming apart. If thats the case all the crap from the tc is going into your trans. Not good!

Last edited by FLT; 02-18-2006 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be your exhaust and the tune. You did not say what you had done for exhaust work :ie catback/headers/y-pipe or all of it.
exhaust may have put your power band up higher in the rpm and the tune may have traded some low end power for high rpm gains.

You might want to check it out,just some ideas for ya.
Good luck .

Dave
Old 02-19-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Remove the torque managment on the car. Also the TC should not be locking up in 1st gear at WOT, make sure your tunner takes a look at where your lock-up is set at and also take a look at your shift points while he's in there. Just my .02