Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of 4l60E upgrades to hold.......?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of 4l60E upgrades to hold.......?

600HP?

Just wondering how much local places charge to upgrade 4l60E transmissions and what work they actually do? I am contemplating having a local shop upgrade my stock 4l60E to handle 600HP and I need some comparisons.

Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact FLT, they will answer any questions you have.

http://www.finishlinetrans.com/
Old 02-16-2006, 07:47 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats the first place to call! 1-630-350-7776 IMO...
Old 02-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Launching!

I'm having mine built with a TCI kit next week. With all parts and labor including Torque converter, transmission cooler and TCI rebuild kit it's running a little over 2k. It seems ever time I do something to this car it's a little over 2K, (and one time way over 2K).
Old 02-17-2006, 05:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Chas1
I'm having mine built with a TCI kit next week. With all parts and labor including Torque converter, transmission cooler and TCI rebuild kit it's running a little over 2k. It seems ever time I do something to this car it's a little over 2K, (and one time way over 2K).
So I already have the Torque converter and tranny cooler. This local quoted me $1295 for upgrading the parts in my current tranny which would allow it handle 600HP pretty easily in his mind. Good Price?
Old 02-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
So I already have the Torque converter and tranny cooler. This local quoted me $1295 for upgrading the parts in my current tranny which would allow it handle 600HP pretty easily in his mind. Good Price?

It will take a pretty stout 4l60e to handle "600 hp easily". I dont believe anyone can build one to handle 600 hp easily for $1295. I would ask for a list of everything in the build. I would contact someone that is well known for building strong 4l60e's. Right now FLT has a free shipping deal going on, and these guys know how to build a 4l60e to handle punishment.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Well, lets ask a question?

Whats is it that keeps breaking in a 4l60e? It doesn't seem to be any hard parts that is the common issue with these trans. The trans sliping becuz the clutches are toast is what i normally read on here so that is what needs to be addressed in a adequate 4l build.

Also, the sun shell, input shaft, amybe even the planetary gears could be swapped out from a 65e and dropped into your 60e. I have a 65e from factory so i got lucky, i guess...

So, keep that in mind. I have toasted my trans twice alredy with the new motor, the first time EVERYTHING in the trans just got warped...i mean everything down to the 1st/reverse clutch. it just let go one night at 12 in the morning!!

Look aroun here for the sponors that are producing these trans. Make a few calls and see if your local guys does seem to know what he is doing.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BBBBadSS
It will take a pretty stout 4l60e to handle "600 hp easily". I dont believe anyone can build one to handle 600 hp easily for $1295. I would ask for a list of everything in the build. I would contact someone that is well known for building strong 4l60e's. Right now FLT has a free shipping deal going on, and these guys know how to build a 4l60e to handle punishment.

Ok, here is the breakdown of parts included in the upgraded transmission for $1295:

8 Friction 3-4 clutch assembly w/Kolene steel plates
High Energy band
10 vane pump w/.500 boost valve (13 vane pumps have lower volume)
New tall low roller clutch
6 low reverse frictions w/Kolene steels
'The Beast' sun shell
New 29 element sprag
New Torrington bearings
New bushings
Super Servo w/superior 4th piston
Transgo shift kit & new accumulator pistons
New 5 pinion low planetary gearset

Dyno-tested
We carefully check band pin legth, unit end play, and clutch clearances.

How does it sound?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
Ok, here is the breakdown of parts included in the upgraded transmission for $1295:

8 Friction 3-4 clutch assembly w/Kolene steel plates
High Energy band
10 vane pump w/.500 boost valve (13 vane pumps have lower volume)
New tall low roller clutch
6 low reverse frictions w/Kolene steels
'The Beast' sun shell
New 29 element sprag
New Torrington bearings
New bushings
Super Servo w/superior 4th piston
Transgo shift kit & new accumulator pistons
New 5 pinion low planetary gearset

Dyno-tested
We carefully check band pin legth, unit end play, and clutch clearances.

How does it sound?
It looks like good parts, but i'm not an expert at these. My tranny is toast and i looked at all the more popular builders who are well known in builing these trannys and the prices seem to all be around $2000-and up. I had a 700r4 built by a local tranny guy for $1700 and that was rated for about 500 hp. If he puts the parts in that he says he's gonna and it will hold up to 600 hp that is one hell of a deal. Is there a warranty with that? For the hell of it go to FLT website and look at there various levels of builds. All parts used is listed, that will give you something to compare to.
www.finishlinetrans.com
Old 02-20-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BBBBadSS
Is there a warranty with that? For the hell of it go to FLT website and look at there various levels of builds. All parts used is listed, that will give you something to compare to.
www.finishlinetrans.com
I will have to double-check on the warranty to make sure. I did go to FLT and it looks as if this kit contains the same parts as their 4l65e stage 5 or something like that. Thats why I would like to have someone with expertise in this area to comment on the list of parts!

Quick Reply: Cost of 4l60E upgrades to hold.......?