Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0751 - Do I really have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Code P0751 - Do I really have a problem?

Sorry for the long post but it’s the only I way can completely describe the situation.

As background, I am a chronic bracket racer who has in the neighborhood of 800 to 1,000 passes on my 1999 Z28. The car has always run extrodanirly consistent. As long as I hook (which for me means a 60’ between 1.66 and 1.68) I can always count on being within .02 of the previous pass (assuming no changes in temperature or barometric pressure).

The timing of this might just be a coincidence but 3 weeks ago my car unexpectedly slowed up by .07 on my fourth pass at a bracket race. Then, on the drive home I got a Service Engine Soon light which turned out to be Code P0751 – “Solenoid A Stuck off.” For the two weeks since then, my times have jumped around from .05 to .10 between passes. Definitely not normal.

I took it to a very capable transmission mechanic right after the light came on. He told me it is extremely rare for a solenoid to fail. Furthermore, it worked fine when he tested it. In addition, the code was set while cruising at 55 mph in 4th gear, not while shifting which is when he said the code would normally set if there is a real problem. He also said the fluid looked spotless and there wasn’t a spec of metal. He cleared the code and it has not come back.

My questions, is it possible that I really do have a problem with the solenoid? From the searches I have done on here, it seems like whenever someone’s solenoid has gone bad they definitely have significant shifting problems. No one has ever described minor shifting issues – it’s either a problem or its not. And, if they clear the code, it comes right back but mine hasn’t. Is there such a thing as a weak solenoid (as opposed to going completely bad)? And, if the solenoid really has a problem wouldn’t the SES light have come back?

BTW, the posts I found on here using the search say that people often get the code soon after installing a large converter. However, I’ve had my converter for 4 years and it’s only a 3200 stall.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem back a couple of weeks ago. My converter was installed about 7 months ago and i recently got that same SES light. I thought my tranny was going bad but i did some reading and deleted the code. Since then the car is running fine but I'am still going to pull the tranny here in a couple of weeks the tranny has bout 150,xxx miles on it.

Quick Reply: Code P0751 - Do I really have a problem?