Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit or Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shift Kit or Tune?

I know once i get this 3800 stall converter in the shifts are going to be a little softer..from what i heard..what would be more safe a trans go shift kit or a tune to make the shifts firmer just curious what you guy/girls have done so let me know what you've done or your ideas..thanks
Old 07-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Do both ... use the Transgo to firm up the shifts and give you more positive lock-up. Tune to adjust shift points and lock-up points to your liking, reduce shift times 50%, eliminate or reduce Torque management, and deal with any misfire codes you might get.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, both is the way to go. I still need to complete the other half...lol
Old 07-23-2006, 02:55 AM
Banned

Shift kit all the way...........

Definently.. The kit replaces parts inside... not just increasing line pressure!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 05:19 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Even though you added a small diameter torque converter and a higher stall, the transmission is actually shifting firmer than before, (less weight to slow down on each shift), the "shift feel" is what is lost in the TC change. The Shift kit will change the accumulation values, thereby changing "shift feel". With the modified Trans-Go Performance Shift kit, you can have smooth part throttle shifts & firm WOT shifts, and this will add to the durability of the unit. If you go this route, do not add firmness with the computer program, as this will "only" firm up part to medium throttle openings, and this is not needed for added durability, and in fact can subtract from it. Part to medium throttle shifts should be quick, but not too firm or harsh, as this can do damage in the long run.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

So should i go and get the trans go shift kit put in?
i heard the kits a hit or miss kinda thing?
thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not the kit that's hit or miss, it's the installer. a lot of transmission shops screw up. make sure you have a good installer experienced with putting shift kits in 4L60E's before you do this. get the HD-2 kit from probuilt automatics.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
it's not the kit that's hit or miss, it's the installer. a lot of transmission shops screw up. make sure you have a good installer experienced with putting shift kits in 4L60E's before you do this. get the HD-2 kit from probuilt automatics.
Exactly. Call around and specifically ask if they are fimilar with installing trans go kits in 4L60E's.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Banned

I would get the HD-2 kit as well.... But I would get it from Oregonperformancetransmissions on ebay.... He sells them for aroung 80-90 bucks...

And a ton of other stuff you can use to really beef it up.... Seperator Plate, Servos, Accum Pistons, etc. etc.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Is the HD-2 kit better than the trans go kit and what is a pro built trans go kit..is there any difference??
Also what questions should i ask the installer to make sure he'll do a good job?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

anyone?
thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by MidwayAvenue
Is the HD-2 kit better than the trans go kit and what is a pro built trans go kit..is there any difference??
Also what questions should i ask the installer to make sure he'll do a good job?
Thanks
it's the same kit i believe, just modified. it calls for larger feed holes for better clutch oiling and allows for stock-like (just quick) part throttle shifts but firm WOT shifts. while you're at it, you may wanna call up FLT and get alumium accumulator pistions, new servos (the 1-3 band and the 3-4 band servos), a beast sunshell (i keep hearing this, it apparently replaces the shitty stock one and never breaks), and hi-energy clutches. that's what I'D do. the extra parts will likely run you another $200 but it really helps. these are the WEAKEST parts of the trans. again, i'd call up FLT and get it all from them or something. it'll save you shipping from 2 different places and just be a lot easier. they seem like standup guys at FLT. i'd give them the business. again, just make sure u find a good installer first and make sure they install ALL THESE PARTS and have experience with 4L60E's.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

FOR A STOCK TRANSMISSION A SHIFT KIT IS NOT NESSIARY NOR WILL IT MAKE THE STOCK TRANNY LIVE ANY LONGER (THAN STOCK TRANNY +TUNE).... THE REALITY IS INSTALLING A COMPREHENSIVE SHIFT KIT (HD2) IS NOT NESSIARY UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON MODIFYING THE REST OF THE TRANSMISSION TOO...

WOULD I PUT A SHIFT KIT IN A BUILT TRANNY? YEA!, WOULD I WASTE MY TIME PUTTING A KIT IN A STOCK TRANNY? NO!... WITH THE RIGHT SETTINGS YOUR STOCK TRANNY WILL BE ABLE TO COMMAND ALL THE CLAMPING FORCE IT WILL NEED FOR ANY POWER LEVLE ITS BUILT TO HANDLE.... GRANTED A SHIFT KIT'S CAN IMPROVE THE PERFORMANCE oN a well built tranny and are a essential part of a performance build BUT FOR A STOCKER I BELIEVE THEY ARE A WASTE OF TIME IF TUNEING IS AN OPTION

MY TRANNY HAS HELD UP FINE TO 4 YRS OF ABUSE ON A STICKY TIRE AND CLOSE TO 550 CRANK HP.. WHEN IF BLOWS ILL BUILD A STRONGER ONE WITH ALL THE UPGRADES BUT LIKE I SAID FOR A STOCKER A SHIFT KIT IS JUST A MORE RISKY WAY OF DOING WHAT COMPUTER TUNEING CAN ACCOMPLISH

-JMO

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
it's the same kit i believe, just modified. it calls for larger feed holes for better clutch oiling and allows for stock-like (just quick) part throttle shifts but firm WOT shifts. while you're at it, you may wanna call up FLT and get alumium accumulator pistions, new servos (the 1-3 band and the 3-4 band servos), a beast sunshell (i keep hearing this, it apparently replaces the shitty stock one and never breaks), and hi-energy clutches. that's what I'D do. the extra parts will likely run you another $200 but it really helps. these are the WEAKEST parts of the trans. again, i'd call up FLT and get it all from them or something. it'll save you shipping from 2 different places and just be a lot easier. they seem like standup guys at FLT. i'd give them the business. again, just make sure u find a good installer first and make sure they install ALL THESE PARTS and have experience with 4L60E's.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Is your caps lock key broken?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

yea im too poor for all the keys so to save money i left that one out
Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Is your caps lock key broken?
lol when you read that post, doesn't it sound like he's screaming at you? the voice in my head reading it was screaming
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

No Screaming Here Just Lazyness