Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo Shift Kit:How hard to install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Transgo Shift Kit:How hard to install?

ok so I've had my transgo shift kit for about 2 months and havent attempted to install it yet, b/c I'm weary if I can do it or not, the instructions dont look too complicated just very short. ive searched and havent really found any writeups or anything to help me, so my question is how hard is this to install? Ive never done any transmission work except ive changed a few clutches but no internal trans work....this is also the first automatic car ive ever had so when it comes to autos im clueless, i just did my lt install last week and it wasnt too bad....do you guys think I can do it? I really dont want to pay anyone to do it unless I absolutely have to. any helps appreciated.
thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just follow the directions and you shouldn't have a problem. 99% of the video is useless. be sure to have the proper tools...ie snap ring pliers, drill, etc. i, along with the help of a couple buddies, installed the transgo kit on my car. it wasn't bad at all. we took our time and tediously watched/rewatched the video, read instructions repeatedly, did everything perfect to a T and i've had very good luck with the tranny thus far. i'd guess total time, exlcuding the bullshit, was close to 5 hours - on the ramps to off the ramps. if you have access to a lift, i'd guess time would be less...as working on the garage floor was no fun.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks s36k, for some reason my kit did not come with a video? only instructions....but seeing as how everyone says the vid is useless i guess im doing ok, where could I get snap ring pliers? and also I thought by looking at the instructions that everything was pretty much done outside of the car? anyways any other opinions??
Old 08-06-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything concerning the valvebody is done outside the car. but swapping springs, etc, is done under the car. all the **** reagrding #2 piston was stuck on that shaft and i had to pull it out as one piece (you're supposed to take it apart piece by piece and remove one at a time...as there is barely 1.5" of clearance between the side of the tranny and the body. that hung us up for almost an hour. we ended up dropping the trans crossmember and slapping a wratchet strap on the tailshaft (other end on the framerail of a 72 ss el camino) and pulling the tranny over far enough to remove the whole shaft with everything on it. that sucked.

this is also a good time to upgrade to a larger tranny pan.

also...you can get snap ring pliers at any parts store.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?? c'mon guys I want to hear everyones opinions that has done this by themselves, also what does a shop usually charge to put this in?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with s346K, besides the work on the side of the trans by the body, the rest goes pretty smoothly. The instructions are pretty good. Way better than the B&M instructions. Diddo on the video; useless. On the #2 piston work, I had to drop the crossmember and take mine out a piece at a time. I did'nt think of pulling the trans to the side, might of saved me some time though. One thing that I can think of is when you go to change the spring that is inside the bell shaped disk, if that makes any since, use a c-clamp to compress it together and the take out the retainer ring. When you put it back together, make sure that the shaft slides through it easily. I did'nt at first and had to take it back out and line it up. When it came time to put the outside cap back on, I got my 11 year old little brother to hold pressure on it with a wrench while I got that aggrevating wire retainer back in.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been thinking about putting one on as well..... my friends dad works at a tranny shop-but the kid is wicked smart too. Then again i need money first... so many things to buy and so little money to buy them w/. I think a Transpak and 24K cooler would work out pretty nicely tho

Quick Reply: Transgo Shift Kit:How hard to install?