Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Shift Kit???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Shift Kit???

So heres the deal. Planned on getting a Vig3200 and trans cooler and so today I went to check out a place to get a tune after I get it all installed. Went down to Mooresville Drag Stip(like it means something to any of you guys) and found a place that a friend of mine recommended. Anyways the owners name is Nick Williams and I spoke with one of his employees. The guy seems pretty knoweledgeable about my car and we run through my mods and I told him about the tc and such and he said to not really worry about getting a shift kit because it wont make much difference especially with a tune. So is it true? Is a shift kit really just a waste if you are going to get a good tune anyways?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definitely want that shift kit. The tune will just up the line pressure on the trans to make it shift firmer and that's not good for the tranny. When you get the stall, get the trans cooler and shift kit, and for the tune all you really need are your shift points adjusted and torque management deleted.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Agreed the shift kit is a must Part of the kit adresses other issues beyond just firming up shifts and massivley increasing line preasure is never a good idea with these units , But it unfortunatley is done often and in many cases severly shortens the life of the transmission ,
Performabuilt