Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am Sick of A4 and Converter Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy I am Sick of A4 and Converter Troubles

Well I have had my new 408 for 3 months now and no troubles after final tune for 2 Months everything was Great I would be rolling 40-45 mph in 4th gear and punch it and rip the tires off the assend My Built 4L60e and my Yank SS4000E was a great Combo.Until I got New Nitto's on the car.About a week later the Trans and Converter had a big Problem,It didnt Hit Hard anymore from a roll Something was slipping Bad ,Free reving in normal driving conditions and a Noise from the Bell housing.So out came the Trans and Verter for the 1000th time.sent the verter back to Dave @ Yank,Paid him 260.00 for Inspection and Shipping for him to tell me That The converter was fine it must be the Trans.So I had my Trans guy(Which has been doing my Trannies since the 80's who I trust very much) checked my tranny and all was good in there and very clean.So Back together it went and now it hits a little harder from roll and NO more Noise from the Bell housing.But after the New Nitto's the Converter seems to be Loser under normal driving conditions( Free Reving like)This happened after the New Nitto's and it is still like that after sending it back to Yank.What do you guys think?Thanks
Old 09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to be dumb. but have you thought maybe the tires are spinning more? i am honestly not trying to sound like a dick or anything but maybe the tires are just spinning more than they did before.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No ,the Tires now squeel because of being newer.The Converter seems to be loser maybe the disks inside it slipping ,I don't know?But if I nail it rolling slow or a dead stop she squeels like crazy.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Teching In

i had a similar problem. posi unit took a crap and was only spinning one tire.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From those conditions the clutch is not in play, or should
not be. Perhaps it's getting applied anyway and doesn't
like it. Can you see TCC_Mode with a scanner, or the
TCC solenoid wire voltage? all it takes is a short to
ground to make it try to engage, even if it shouldn't.

Can you foot-stall it without trans slippage? See the
input, output shaft RPM and engine RPM and tell if any
slip is going on outside the converter? Comparing the
input/output ratio to nominal gear will tell you about
gearbox slip if any.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmDrag98
i had a similar problem. posi unit took a crap and was only spinning one tire.
i like this idea. you can only hit so hard with a one-wheeled-wonder. do a burnout. 1 black mark or 2?
Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i like this idea. you can only hit so hard with a one-wheeled-wonder. do a burnout. 1 black mark or 2?
LOL that is good.Well if only one was spinning the Car wouldnt shift from side to side.They are both spinning
Old 09-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
LOL that is good.Well if only one was spinning the Car wouldnt shift from side to side.They are both spinning
what do you mean? are you getting sideways during shifts? it seems to me a one-wheel-wonder would make your car shift to the side even harder since there's no wheel spin from the other tire to help balance it out. 1 tire = less traction = more side-to-side motion.

test it with a burnout to be sure. if it's not the trans or the verter, it's the best guess.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

on Shifts and nailing it from a slow roll goes a little side to side.If I nail it from a dead stop it stays straight.I did nail it in the parking lot at work and had 2 black marks ,so the Moser rearend seems to be doing it's job.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I pulled a Hole shot and Now cant feel it lock up ,real soft.Ok I am Not Liking Yank anymore!Alright Dave Better wanna help me now
Old 09-16-2006, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

I feel your frustration about A4's and big stalls. Sometimes I feel like ripping it out and converting to a M6, until I hit the track and rip off consistent 1.5 60-fts. How many miles on your converter? At first my PT4000 was tight and loosened up after it was broke in. Are you doing your own tuning and does your trans have a vacuum modulator?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Vacuum modulator,and the tuning was done 3 months ago nothing changed.except new nitto's ,I think the Traction smoked out the Converter.Dave at Yank says there is nothing wrong with it.Hmmm I bet if I put a new veter in it ,It would be fine again....
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also when I jump on it from a roll ,the Rpms dont shoot up anymore,which inturn doesnt have that snap you back in the seat anymore....
Old 09-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Banned

Buy a Vigilante.

Kinda sounds like you softened your rearend and/or drivetrain somewhere.
I didnt read the entire post, but could be the axles, posi or tranny.

Dyno your car again... see if its puttin down what its supposed to.

Last edited by burnzilla; 09-16-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
Also when I jump on it from a roll ,the Rpms dont shoot up anymore,which inturn doesnt have that snap you back in the seat anymore....
This almost definitely sounds like the WOT downshift table. Nittos are generally taller than the same size street radial. Depending on the actual height difference this can affect the transmission tables that control the WOT downshifts. I spent countless hours to get my transmission tables correct. I had to do the same with my friends car with a Fuddle 4000.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish it were that simple,It was fine for a little less than a week after the new tires.I am starting to think the Yank SS series cant hold up to 650-675 Fly wheel HP....
Old 09-17-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the converter can't hold HP/TQ then it will flare, not
lock down tighter.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jimmyblue,Last night after pulling my holeshot it got worse,now I cant feel it lock up but I can see it on the tach.This Yank SS4000e is acking just like my 3200 Vigilante did with my cam and heads wasnt enough stall from a roll it just isnt there like it was for 2 months of driving my new 408....
Old 09-17-2006, 10:48 AM
FormerVendor

I talked to Dave
and he said for you to check your trans when the converter was sent in for restall - it had some dark marks on the clutch that are not normal and look as if you have a cross leak in the transfront pump or valvebody allowing line oil to feed the converter clutch - allowing on the clutch to get partial apply under load with the twisting force on the stator shaft from the converter STR
We have seen this many times as the 4l60-e has a cast alum pump.
you can check this by removing the lock up control sol. from the valve body under the pan if you issue goes away the trans is in need of review.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yank
I talked to Dave
and he said for you to check your trans when the converter was sent in for restall - it had some dark marks on the clutch that are not normal and look as if you have a cross leak in the transfront pump or valvebody allowing line oil to feed the converter clutch - allowing on the clutch to get partial apply under load with the twisting force on the stator shaft from the converter STR
We have seen this many times as the 4l60-e has a cast alum pump.
you can check this by removing the lock up control sol. from the valve body under the pan if you issue goes away the trans is in need of review.
My Yank SS4000e Verter wasnt sent in for restall,It was sent in for the same problem I have now.I loved that converter It rocked ,until this problem came up.When I sent the Converter back to Dave ,My Trans guy ripped down the Trans and all is fine,very clean nothing wrong....put it back together ,hit a little harder .then when I went through the gears from a dead stop ,I cant feel it lock up anymore ,but can see it on the tach.When I nail it from a roll it is like I dont have a high stall....