Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which shift kit for my 700r4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which shift kit for my 700r4?

and yes ,I do have a 700r4 from a 3rd gen. not the 4L60e.

whats the diff. between the summit kit for $140 TRG-700 or the ebay one for $81 th700R4 2&3? is the only diff. the video? I dont really need that. Id rather pay for the more expensive one if it has more hard parts (I see the gaskets, correct drill bits, 2 and 4 apply pistons (I think thats whats in the pic on summits site. Ive seen this kit for the 4L60E (looks exactly like whats in the 700r4 kit) and the box on the ebay site is totaly different. the summit kit is very nice in that all the parts are in seperate bags inside the package. I thought that was very nice touch to simplify the process.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7948554852
Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a 700 I would recommend going with the superior or fairbanks kit. Much easier to install and it is what I use in my 700's. If you are in need of one, send an email to Chuck. The addres is on our web page under info.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

well thanks vince, I had a superior kit in another 700r4 years ago, and that trans never acted right. it would not shift 1-2 right at part throttle, and dont remember what else I didnt like about it, but thanks anyways. poss. there was a problem with the trans, but it was pro. built/inspected. I remember fiddleing with the governor, one of those b&m adj. kits but never could get it to shift all the gears right at part throttle. and if I had it set up to cruise comfortably, it wouldnt hold first gear to the upper rpms. I had to adj. the TV cable tighter in order to do that.
do those kits give you absolute control over the gears manually at any speed? whats the price like for those? do they also allow TC lockup at WOT?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is possible that you had some issues with sticky valves in the valve body or in the govenor. The kit for govenor can be very tricky and usually takes more than one try to get the results desired. The kit doesn't come with the full thottle luck up mod. I do know that they have a kit for a full throttle 3-4 shift but I don't remember a full throttle lock up kit. I do remember a kit for adjusting the lock up speeds, but I'll have to look around through some my old tech stuff. Sorry not to be of more help here. If I find something I'll let you know.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

On the shift issue with the previous 700r4 with the transgo was it in and oem application or was it a retro , the reason I ask the way your describing the varios TV ajustments it sounds like the ratio geometry of the TV cable at throttle body or carb was wrong ,
I have used the trango kit many times its shown to be excellent

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

performabuilt, it was a superior shift kit, not transgo. Ive heard/driven nothing but excellent transgo shift kit cars.

on the TV adj. issue, yes, that was a holley carb on that engine (on my Iroc) and one of the things I did to try to fix the problem was the holley carb linkage adapter. cant remember who made it, bought it from a trans parts supplier here in town (prolly 6 years ago) after I initialy got the car together and had that problem. that helped, but didnt fix it. I busted the bellhousing of that trans, and bought another trans that was already built. didnt have that problem after swapping trans.s, same carb/adapter/TVcable adj. method.
and, I did take the valve body off the trans, and dissasembled it to check all the valves. all seemed good.
I tried a diff. governer all together from a diff. car, then modified that one with the B&M adj. weights several times.
all that is why I decided maybe it was the shift kit? who knows. just got a bad taste from it I guess. maybe it was something else all together though if FLT uses them w/o any problems.

anyways, do you two fella's know what the diff. is in those two kits? I had a friend tell me that they are the same, except the expensive one comes with a video, and a $12 servo is the only difference. which is what I thought, just want to make sure.
if either of you would like to beat $90 shipped to 48327 let me know for the cheaper kit. Id rather spend my money with the people who support my websites and help others.
thanks
chris
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sorry on the miss on the kit had just woke up from a nap lol Im on here very late at night so generally take a breif nap around 8 to 10 since its generally slow on here then lol.
Sorry but we dont sell the shift kit only transmissions and converters for now.
that price is decent ,
On the kit the more expensive one give you several capabilities such as a stick auto function for more manual shift control and it come with a large boost valve and is definatley worth the difference at least in my opinion.
On the matter of the TV correction it helps some but many builders including us remove some material from the TV bore end allowing the valve to travel further this accompanied with the TV correction package will ussually fix all but the worst geometry problems , This may have been the case with the new trans , Just a thought ,
But in anycase i would go with the higher end transgo kit

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

I appreciate the help, again. well, I already have the larger .500 boost valve. what is diff. in the kit that allows more adj. for manually shifting? this one says:

This is the new Transgo TH700-2&3 Shift Kit for the 700R4 transmissions. This kit has the ability to be shifted manually and it still retains the ability to shift automatically. Good for the street or strip applications. Can be held in all gears to any RPM and can also be down shifted at any RPM. Shift kit reduce the slippage in a transmission and this help reduce the operating tempertures of the transmission.

think its still better/different?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LOOK TO ME LIKE THEY COMBINED THE KITS
So probably the same

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: which shift kit for my 700r4?