Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Trans Problem

I've just signed onto this list and there is a lot of great info here. My problem:

I recently picked up a '96 S-10 with a bad engine. I replaced the engine and since the truck had over 150,000 miles, I decided to rebuild the trans (first time working on an automatic). I purchased the ATSG manuals and a TCI rebuild kit. I also installed the wider reverse drum. I drove the truck about 25 miles and it seemed to work pretty well but suddenly lost all motivation - both forward and reverse. After pushing it into the garage and shutting the engine down for a few minutes, I restarted it and it would appear to work o.k. when shifting into drive and reverse for a couple of cycles but then it went away again, gradually but quickly. Shutting the engine down for a few minutes would again get it to work when shifting through the gears a couple of times but it would again go away. The cycle is still repeatable. When I first got it into the garage, the trans oil was a little low (about a quart), which I topped off. It made an unusual noise the second or third time I started it after letting it set for a few minutes but the noise went away. Can't describe the noise but it was a strange rattling noise that only lasted a few seconds.

As a side note, I'm also having charging problems but I don't think that is related to the trans problems. I had a mechanic check for codes before I started driving it (when I got it inspected for the state) and there were none but I don't know if it's showing any codes now (the check engine light isn't on).

I do this as a hobby so I'm sure it's obvious I'm not a real mechanic (used to be years ago). I may wind up buying a new trans but I have so much time invested in this one that I hate to admit defeat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are having battery voltage problems, this can definitely effect the trans. Electronically controlled transmissions need proper battery voltage to control the solenoids in the transmission. I would figure that out first and it might just fix your transmission problems. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 02-01-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Bad ground cables can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems.

DJ
Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You saying it stops moving after a short bit or running , Pull the pan sounds like the filter is getting blocked with debris unfortunatly that also means theres a problem in there.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I sorted out the electrical problems but the trans problem still exists. I'll drop the pan this weekend and see what I can find.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Let us know what you find

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Teching In

I pulled the pan this afternoon and it was amazingly dirty with a very fine black substance. I cleaned up the pan, changed filters and filled it with fresh fluid. It seemed to work better but when I took it for a drive, it wouldn't shift out of first and I got a error code for the speedometer (P0502), which confirmed my observation that the speedo needle wasn't moving as I was traveling down the road. The ABS Brake light also stayed on. I think I'm ready to admit that I'm way over my head on this and take it to a shop that a friend recommended. I called the shop today before I dropped the pan and he quoted a price of around $1,300 if it needs to be replaced/rebuilt. I had to tolerate the obligatory laughing when I told him I had just rebuilt the trans and apparently screwed it up but after the laughter died down, he was actually very helpful. He suggested that I make sure the cooler on the radiator wasn't generating a lot of dirt and even mentioned that he often puts a fuel filter on the cooler return line which seemed to make sense. Thanks for all your help and if I find out it was something simple and I actually didn't bugger the whole thing up when I had it apart, I'll post the results.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well let us know and sorry it didn't work out for you. And just to make sure anyone knows I dont think anyway he actually meant a fuel filter but rather and inline trans filter with a bypass, A fuel filter would be too restrictive and would clog up to quickly and easily.FYI

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
If you are having battery voltage problems, this can definitely effect the trans. Electronically controlled transmissions need proper battery voltage to control the solenoids in in the transmission. I would figure that out first and it might just fix your transmission problems. Vince
An electrical problem will NEVER cause a 4L60E to stop moving. Even if the transmission harness is completely unpluged the car will still move (in third gear).
Old 02-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Try that test with a high stall converter in forward. Also let me know how long the 3-4 clutch holds up. I'm no newbie son. I have seen plenty of transmissions sold over the years because low battery voltage. The original user that started this thread said that he had a charging issue. I would probably address that first. It sounds by his post that he has a trans problem by what he found in the pan. It sounds as if the filter is plugged up now with clutch. I wounder what caused it?
Although the transmission does indeed need proper battery voltage for proper function, It will not cause the vehicle to NOT MOVE. I will not argue that proper battery voltage is necessary... It absolutely is. However, in your post you claimed that fixing his electrical issue might just be the fix for his transmission issue. This is not possible for a vehicle that DOES NOT MOVE.

And by the way... "SON"... You are not the only one on this planet that is no newbie. You might want to consider getting off your high horse sometimes when others post. It seems that any time someone posts anything contradictory to what you have to say, you go into instant defense mode. You only discourage people from posting. Get over yourself.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I missed the part about reverse and I was wrong. I thought it was having problems in forward and in most cases with a high stall TC a vehicle will really not want to move in forward. Obviously the transmission filter is plugged up with clutch material and this is why it acts the way is does. A voltage problem could of caused damage to the trans and now it sounds as if it needs to be done again. Please accept my apology. I was wrong and made a mistake that a newbie would of made. I apologize, Vince.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Jag let us know what you find out and though they probably didnt cause the problem as far as not moving . I would get those electrical problems sorted out asap to

Call 888-744-6542