Sponsored by:

Converter/Trans???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converter/Trans???

I have been on here before complaining about sloppy lockup on my 98 T/A a couple months ago..Anyway what I had bought was a new(race)trans & 4000 stall converter, thing blows out the rear planitary gears after 1400 miles..Trans shop tells me the only thing that blows rear planitary gears is if the converter is not locking, that fluid only gets to these gears when the converter is locked..True, False? I only drove about 160 miles with the lockup problem & got it "fixed" by raising the misfire codes, then the sloppy lockup occured about 800 miles later..There are threads that I posted on this & some of you might remember..Anyways, like I thought, converter Co. blames the trans shop & trans shop blames Converter Co. even though when cut open, the converter looks brand new...So That leaves me with paying about $500 more on top of $2600 I already paid for the trans..Sucks 4 me..here are the other threads
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/593142-guys-will-new-yank-converters.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/615815-lazy-lock-up.html
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the trans was built properly with a full time lube mod then the converter lube issue is untrue sloppy lock up could be a pwm issue has this be eliminated either mechanically as we do our units or in the tune?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-09-2007, 05:18 PM
FormerVendor

The converter is not in lock up all the time, when it is cold ,hot or under a load or even when you a coast down a hill there is no lock up command, so that does not sound like the issue or all of the 4l60-e type of transmissions would be dead in normal driving or at the track and you would see this failure from every one with a lock up cycle issue
some customers even by pass the lock-up feature and still run with the lock up converter installed.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If the trans was built properly with a full time lube mod then the converter lube issue is untrue sloppy lock up could be a pwm issue has this be eliminated either mechanically as we do our units or in the tune?
PWM was disabled in the trans itself from what the builder told me...
Old 02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Yank
The converter is not in lock up all the time, when it is cold ,hot or under a load or even when you a coast down a hill there is no lock up command, so that does not sound like the issue or all of the 4l60-e type of transmissions would be dead in normal driving or at the track and you would see this failure from every one with a lock up cycle issue
some customers even by pass the lock-up feature and still run with the lock up converter installed.
Makes sense, Thanks for that info, I didn't think of that myself..I will ask the builder how I am supposed to drag race now since my converter doesn't lock thru the whole 1/4 mile run ... I talked to Dave(I think it's dave) & Mike from the toy shop talked to Dave last week, Dave told me & The toy shop that the converter was probably not the issue because it looked brand new & there was "Metallic" in the oil...I can't argue with this shop, I am stuck with paying the 225 to clean the converter & whatever else he is going to charge me for..I feel I am the big loser here. The whole issue with him I guess is that he didn't install the parts, I had it done here locally because the trans builder is 160 miles away..he did come & trailer the car to his place as he should..
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

well good luck i hate your having a problem let me know if we can be of any help ok

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Thanks sir..I think Yank gave me an awesome argument about the verter not being locked all the time..I didn't think of it..From what the trans shop is telling me , I can't drag race anymore because the verter isn't locked..lame
Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

basically thats what i was saying , I mean the converter not locking can cause overheating and trans damage ultimatly but it will not cause a rear planet to fail, The shop is messing with you , But you do need to solve the lockup issue for sure,

Call 888-744-6542