Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is it to replace a tranny myself!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it to replace a tranny myself!

I have a 98 automatic Trans-am and I need to change out the transmission, can I do it in my drive way?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It really depends on what you consider hard. I know I would do it in my drive way, I did an a4 to t5 swap in my driveway on my 91z. Are you mechanically inclined?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

a little, plus i have my pontiac book on the installation and removal of everything on the car, would that help
Old 04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have removed mine 3 times and it is not that bad. A nice set of tool wil make life so much easier. You will need two 24" extensions with a swivel socket. Here is a nice write-up on how to R&R the transmission.

http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...p?do=tcinstall
Old 04-14-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

I've done a couple with some help. If you have some tall stands to safely prop the car on, and then a good floor jack to drop and lift the tranny in and out of the car, you should be fine. Be prepared to spend te better part of a day doing it. Make sure you keep an eye out on the tranny fluid level after you've started it. It may take several checks after it's at the correct level. In addition, make sure you get about one quart of fluid in the converter before you install it and make SURE you hear the three seperate clunks when you are engaging the converter to the transmission pump.

Good luck and be careful.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

I did my own trans. its not hard. But a couple things I can think of to help you out are a can of PB blaster, a T50 socket and a torch. If you have any questions while your doing it just jump on here and ask. you will get a response. ( helped me out )
Old 04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

I cant speak for the driveway thing, but I did mine on a lift. out in 2 hours and in in 4 (with installing a cooler). Just do it from back to front. It seems to be easier that way. Take off your torque arm, drive shaft, exhaust, drive shaft loop, then starter, torque converter bolts, transmission bolts, and cross member. I make it sound too easy, but all in all its not that bad.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Heres a little advice on the T50 bit get a really high quality bit , Then once you have the trans out grind the tip until the bit fits tightly into the torx bolts. Alternativly if you can get to a snap on truck some have the T50 plus bit which is even better and the torch comes in real handy for the lock tite that is on the threads of those bolts , They really are not so bad but be patient and keep the ratchet striaght dont let the exstension tilt, And I do not suggest using and Impact wrench.
Hope this helps

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

I just took mine out this weekend. I also have a '98 and it took me all day only because the pins that line up the bellhousing bolt holes were almost welded to the block . Half that time I was bitching. It really depends how easy the tranny will separate from the block because everything before that should only take about an hour or two. Oh yeah and have fun with that last bellhousing bolt on top.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spyterus
I just took mine out this weekend. I also have a '98 and it took me all day only because the pins that line up the bellhousing bolt holes were almost welded to the block . Half that time I was bitching. It really depends how easy the tranny will separate from the block because everything before that should only take about an hour or two. Oh yeah and have fun with that last bellhousing bolt on top.
Oh and that top bolt thats at 12 o' clock is a delete option so next time you dont have to worry bout it.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Oh, so now you tell me.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Delete option? I dont know if I agree with that. The bolt isn't THAT hard to put back in. The bellhousing to block connection is one of the most important. I wouldn't leave any bolts out. As far as the overall job. You can definitely do it yourself. Give yourself the whole day if its your first time. After your third one, you will be able to do the whole thing in about 3 hours (I can). Good advice about the fluid and converter. Oh... KEY ADVICE! Those bellhousing dowel pins are going to be the most frustrating experience in your life. My advice is to buy a can of PB Blaster and soak the F*** out of them as soon as you jack the car up and do that every hour while you are working and you might have a chance of getting it off. Of course, some people have an easier time than others depending on how corroded they are. But I had to let them soak overnight to get mine off and I have heard alot of similar stories. Good luck and post up if you get stuck on something!

Kyle
Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya there is plenty of people that delete that bolt bc i think there is another 6 on the bell housing holding it on so i think you wil be ok . Also the back bolt holding the Valve cover bracket on on the drivers side is a delete option to bc that thing fookin sux to get to.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Launching!

I used a come-along/ratcheting tie down to pull the trans back off the engine. My pins came out with the trans.

Delete option...hah.. I love it. I left it out too - TH400 doesn't use it, therefore neither will I.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bjamick
Ya there is plenty of people that delete that bolt bc i think there is another 6 on the bell housing holding it on so i think you wil be ok . Also the back bolt holding the Valve cover bracket on on the drivers side is a delete option to bc that thing fookin sux to get to.

Whatever you say. There are also alot of other people that would tell you not to. You choose when you do the install.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont forget to undo your lid. they've been known to break when you let the tranny sag down. you're gonna want to take off the crossmember and let the tranny sag down as far as possible to get to those top bolts, then put your jack under it, jack it back up fairly level and slide it back.

oh yeah, when putting the tranny back in, keep an eye out for guiding the dipstick tube back in the hole. MANY people have bent the **** outta theirs

good luck
Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Teching In

im doing my torque converter right now, and it sucks getting the tranny down (for me anyway). biggest problem I had was the tranny cooler lines, couldn't fine a wrench that would fit, and had to use a vice grip to get those damn things off. so if you run into that problem that would be my suggestion for that part.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what about for the soild motor mount guys, will the engine give enough to get to those top bolts?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_lt1_z28
im doing my torque converter right now, and it sucks getting the tranny down (for me anyway). biggest problem I had was the tranny cooler lines, couldn't fine a wrench that would fit, and had to use a vice grip to get those damn things off. so if you run into that problem that would be my suggestion for that part.
The 2 lines in the side of the tranny?? those have little clips you pop off..
Old 04-16-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

I got my FLT Stage V trans back last Friday. I finished it all in about 6-7 hours from install to exhaust.. After you do it a few times, it gets pretty simple.

1st time, get a buddy to help you. Most important thing, IMO, would be to make sure your verter is on ALL the way so you dont smash the tranny pump.