Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saturday.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Saturday.

Saturday started out great, spent $130 in fluid for the first startup after the motor install. We checked all the lines for leaks, then proceed to pull the fuel pump fuse so we could turn over the motor to build oil pressure. Once the motor got to 40psi we reinstalled the fuse and on the second crank the motor fired up. It idled awesome and no SES lights. We then checked the fluids and let the motor run. Next we put the car in gear on the stands to get fluid in the tranny. Next we set the car down and check for leaks while it ran. I drove it down to the gas station and filled it up, drove it back to the house then washed the car. Checked the car over once more drove it down to the engine builder who looked it over and told me to but it 25 miles on it to break it in then give it hell. After leaving my parents house about an hour later I was heading down Radisson main street and the car started to smoke and then started free revs with no tranny engagement. Once I pulled over the car started to flame up and within 30 secs of opening the hood the car was gone the tranny fluid was pooling under the flames, all I could do was stand and watch. Helpless, only haven gone 18.1 miles total.

To say that I was upset is weak. For those of you who don't know, this car was basically my life. Since I was little kid I have always wanted a Z28, thatz all I ever talked about, and thatz all I read about. I spent all my money, hardwork, and my time on getting this car to where it was before the fire. In a matter of minutes all of that was taken away. I can't get back the time, I can't get back the money (performance parts are not covered by insurance, $10000), and I can not repay everyone that helped me with working on it. My roommate and his buddy spent their whole last week putting the motor back in so when I got home I could finish it up and get back on the road. We may not have certified auto degrees but the knowledge and the skill is there. We couldn't have checked another thing, all of the lines that we hooked made it through the fire, we really have no idea what caused the tranny fluid leak that caused the fire.

I might be looking at the best case to get about $11500 and if you look at the excel sheet that will barely get me a bone stock Z28.

Its a terrible feeling to be so helpless and just watch the car burn, but as life has shown me the hard road is the one I travel. Its really hard for to deal with everything that I have put on hold to make this car what I wanted it to be and yet not get the opportunity to finish it. That car was just pure bad luck, so in honor of it the new Z28 will not have the MP4 Z28 license plate will either be BAD LUCK or BURNT.

Not a lot more can be send about Saturday. But today after talking to the insurance company the realness of what was lost has hit home. To realize that a high school dream of have a Z28 and all the hard work and pride to make it something to be proud of could be all taken away in five minutes finally sinks in. When I realized all the parts, all the time (those guys, me, by roommate), all the dreams, and all the trash talk, all the things I put on hold, and all my money (pay check, after pay check for the past two years) I almost can even look at another Z. The worst thing about this hole business is that the Z was like life, just a consistent struggle of hard work and bad breaks.

Check out page 2.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/Modu...4745&albumId=0

Last edited by Mike2000Z28; 05-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I am really sorry to hear of your missfortune, I had something similar to happen to one of my cars years ago, After spending a fortune getting it painted and building the engine. So I can understand how you feel , After that I kept a fire exstingusher in my car from then on and even today I still keep one in the trunk , I know that was a fustrating, Painfull and helpless expereince.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear that man! I know this is hard to say now, but on the plus side, no one was hurt or killed? I was in a wreck and totalled my 02 Z28. Now over a month later, I'm just glad i'm here to talk about it. **** happens for a reason, you'll just realize that later.