Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing Tranny fluid out coolant lines at WOT only, TH350

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Blowing Tranny fluid out coolant lines at WOT only, TH350

Well ive got my TH350 in and have driven quite a few times but when i go to make a quick run through the gear at WOT right when i finish im followed by a big cloud of white smoke (tranny fluid on hot exhaust). Well ive taken the hoses off at the tranny and put teflon tape all on the threads and screwed it back on and put a hose clamp on it..

Its fine driving under normal conditions but if i romp down on it hard then when all that pressure builds up the fluid shoots out where the coolant lines screw into the tranny? What are you guys using to stop this bc i cant take the car to the track if its squirting tranny fluid all the way down the track.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What type of fittings are your using for the cooler lines to trans ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default oil

be sure that the oil is not comming out the vent. if it is connect a hose to a catch can.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by performabuilt
What type of fittings are your using for the cooler lines to trans ?
It is just a brass fitting that screws into a nut on the side of the transmission. Then the hose slides over the brass fitting and then i put a hose clamp on there..
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well is it leaking at the hose or the fitting , and are you using rubber hose under the car?
I strongly advise against that more that one car has burt to the ground doing that. And are the fitting your using to go into the nut flared correctly for the fitting in the trans

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well is it leaking at the hose or the fitting , and are you using rubber hose under the car?
I strongly advise against that more that one car has burt to the ground doing that. And are the fitting your using to go into the nut flared correctly for the fitting in the trans
Ya i used about 20' of 3/8 fuel line hose for the coolant lines. Whats the problem with running rubber hose

But ya the brass piece just screws in like a screw into a nut.. It fits bc i turn it prob 3-4 turns before it will tighten and i make sure its really tight, then make sure the hose clamp is very snug on the hose.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

You have two problems ,
1- rubber hose can burn on headers or be rubbed through at contact points along wit just coming off and trans fluild is flamable.
2-Fuel line is not trans line and will break down swell and become soft from the trans fluild, If you must use rubber you need to get rubber transmission fluild line, The two are not the same thing. But metal lines are cheap you bend them yourself and you wont have to worry at all many auto pats stores carry them they are a few bucks a piece

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-30-2007, 12:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So where is it leaking, out of the hose or the fitting off the trans? I also wouldn't use fuel line for trans lines, they are not built to handle the heat, pressure and tranny lube and could fail over time. They do make a nice heavy duty rubber trans line though, or you can get steel braided like I run. Also, double check you didn't over torque those trans fittings as you can get a hair line crack in your case. you can also damage that fuel hose if you over tighten the clamp around it. Just throwing some idear's out there to look at...

Dan
Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Its coming out at the fitting i believe.. The hose has been ran pretty well and hidden from the headers to protect it.. its ran very well and hidden, but now its just that point at the tranny where it just wont seal.. Is their a different type of fitting i can put on the tranny and on the hose so that away it will seal it off and keep the tranny fluid in??
Old 05-30-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20' of tubing (10' out and 10' back) seems like a lot. If you ever replumb, I'd consider going more direct and shortening the distance the fluid must be pumped. Probably not directly related to your problem, but just a thought.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
20' of tubing (10' out and 10' back) seems like a lot. If you ever replumb, I'd consider going more direct and shortening the distance the fluid must be pumped. Probably not directly related to your problem, but just a thought.
Well its running from the tranny to the cooler at the very front of the car.. SO it makes a few turns then ive got it hid so it cant be seen..
Old 05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your biggest problem is your fittings. The factory hard lines are flared. If you want to use a brass tapered barb fitting, you need to loose the factory flared fitting in the tranny. You will never get it to seal if this is what you are doing. Flared fitting seal on the taper, and NPT fittings seal by the threads.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Ill have to see if Advance has some

Quick Reply: Blowing Tranny fluid out coolant lines at WOT only, TH350