Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to find out gear ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any way to find out gear ratio?

well according to my door i should have 3:23's but when i first got the car i had to get my rear end replaced. im not exactly sure if they went with the same gear ratio when it was replaced, and i wasnt knowledgable eoungh then to even care. right now i have the converter so i kno its gonna be hard to tell but is there any way of finding out what ratio i have in there now?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Probably pulling the cover and checking is gonna be the only way.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

isnt there a way to check by going like 25mph and seeing what rpms you are at?
Old 06-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Teching In

The ring/pinion ratio...i.e. the ring gear that's responsible for the axles turning and the pinion gear that is connected to the driveshaft via the yoke. Get your car up on jackstands, all 4 corners for safety, then put the tranny in neutral and mark the inside of one of the rear tires with a piece of tape or chalk mark. Then rotate the driveshaft by hand and count the number of rotations it takes for the wheel to complete one full revolution. If it looks close to 3 and 1/4 turns, then you've got 3:23 gears. If it takes just over four turns then you've got 4:10 gears. Get it?

This works best when you're shopping around for a used rear end and you have access to one that's been removed from the car. The other way of course, if you don't mind getting messy, would be to remove the rear cover like waldershrek suggested. This would give you a good excuse to change the gear oil and posi additive.