Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 with TCI Flexplate...SPACER???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 with TCI Flexplate...SPACER???

I am currently installing a new Coan th400 into my 2000 SS, I have a SBC style TCI Ulitmate Street Fighter Converter and a TCI Dual Pattern Flexplate for an LS1. I am really confused as to how to install this stuff, from what I had previously gathered a spacer was needed, so I bought the GM spacer and longer bolts and tried putting it all together and as I tried assembling everything the converter was pushed too tight against the spacer and bolts and the trans was still about the thickness of the spacer away from the engine...Am I not supposed to use a spacer with this particular flexplate??? and what do I need to correctly make this setup work??? I know there is a lot of info in the search but I have looked and looked and just can;t seem to find a clear answer...any help is greatly appreciated...thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

You shouldn't need the spacers if you have the TCI flexplate. It should just bolt right up. Its if you use the stock flexplate that you need spacers I believe..
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1320FEVER
You shouldn't need the spacers if you have the TCI flexplate. It should just bolt right up. Its if you use the stock flexplate that you need spacers I believe..

the flex plate is only for bolting your converter to it,, you still need a spacer to support the end of your conterter to the pilot hole in the crank, that is what the spacer does

if the tci flexplate us curved like the factory 5.3,LS1 flex plate then you will be fine with the hughes spacer

if you have a flat flexplate then you need the gm spacer and bolts

also just so you know the factory 6.0L flat flexplate has the correct bolt pattern for the large th400 bolt pattern, this is what is in my s-10 along with the gm factory spacer and bolts

if you use the gm spacer and bolts with the curved flexplate the correct order of installation is this: flex plate first, then the spacer , then the bolts

if you use the gm spacer and bolts with the flat flexplate the correct order of installation is this: spacer first, then flat flexplate, then bolts

it all depends on what combination you have,, but the hughes spacer can only be used with the curved style flexplate

i would bet you have the spacer on in the wrong position, the gm spacer with a curved flexplate goes on after the flexplate just to support the end of the converter

Last edited by jay_lt4; 06-06-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/639693-ls1-style-engines-old-style-trans-th350-400-2004r-700r4-4l60e.html

Quick Reply: TH400 with TCI Flexplate...SPACER???