Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Problems

I did a search and found nothing. I am looking for a "How to" on replacing my front input shaft seal on the 4L60E (converter side). I have never done anything like this before so I need all the help I can get. I already got the seal and it looks easy enough, but, I have been wrong before. Is there any special tools I'll need? Thanks for any and all help.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yake tranny out take converter off and then replace the seal should take about 30 secs are you talkng about the front pump seal? get a seal puller and pull it out and then gently tap the new one in with a small hammer f you dont have a seal installer
Old 07-08-2007, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

While you have the seal out clean the pump with a non residue cleaner like brake clean . Then use some red locktite on the seal ! you can put it in without a special seal driver but you need to take care that you don't knock the spring loose in the seal !!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

usually something causes the seal to go out, you need to check every thing good before deciding to just put a seal in it
Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
usually something causes the seal to go out, you need to check every thing good before deciding to just put a seal in it
yep front pump bushing
Old 07-08-2007, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes you need to inspect the front pump bushing also if possible observe the flex plate and make sure its running true before you pull the trans.I would also carfulley inspect the converter.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't get my new seal in with a small hammer (went around and around and around), but a 2x4 put it in there in 1/10 of a second. Just laid it flat on there and smacked it with my palm.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Yes you need to inspect the front pump bushing also if possible observe the flex plate and make sure its running true before you pull the trans.I would also carfulley inspect the converter.
The front pump bushing should be fine. The trans only has 37k on it and in all honesty, I think it's nothing more than the seal. This is the 3rd converter swap in 7k - 8k miles, But, just incase, what would I be looking for besides a worn bushing?

Please explain the proper way to "observe the flexplate" I havent heard of this one before.

I'm not sure what you mean by inspecting the converter. It's stabbed all the way in and it's leaking at the seal as far as I can see.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them comming guys
Old 07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

I would stick a stall converter while your in there...:thumbsup:
Old 07-08-2007, 06:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Converters can leak at welds and I have even see pictures on here but not in person of the hub that goes into the pump being cracked causing leaks. Also the front pump bushing can be damaged when installing the converter particularly that many times. As for the flex plate you have to observe it through one of the inspection covers while the car is running and check that its not wobbling. This can cause the seal and or bushing to walk out of the pump . But I will say most likley with that many converter swaps it is probably just a damaged front seal.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ssSLP
I would stick a stall converter while your in there...:thumbsup:
Got one it's a 4k Fuddle
Old 07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Converters can leak at welds and I have even see pictures on here but not in person of the hub that goes into the pump being cracked causing leaks. Also the front pump bushing can be damaged when installing the converter particularly that many times. As for the flex plate you have to observe it through one of the inspection covers while the car is running and check that its not wobbling. This can cause the seal and or bushing to walk out of the pump . But I will say most likley with that many converter swaps it is probably just a damaged front seal.
Thanks. To be on the safe side, I'm gonna check it all out. I don't wanna have to pull this thing again, it's a total PITA.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Problems