Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who would do this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who would do this?

Okay, I just got HPT hooked up to my car and looked at the shift tables. I have been banging on the rev limiter if I go WOT and wondered why. Someone tuned the car before and set the shifts HUGELY high, 1-2 @ 6470, 2-3 @ 6350, 3-4 @ 6550, all on a bone stock car. I don't know what the rev limiter is on these cars and I don't really want to test it. Would this explain the tranny venting fluid at WOT shifts?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the shift points need to be lowered. Rev limiter in oem trim is 6200 rpm. The auto's dont like rpm and that isnt too good for it at all. My lt1 z would wind out high too on the shifts, It was faster that way but the tranny didnt like that, It was like that when I purchased it too.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I went ahead and dropped them down to 6k across the board, I could care less about the little extra speed. I still need to know if it could have been creating too much pressure or something that caused it to vent fluid.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not so much the pressure. But if you have been at the track and made multpile laps and this is when it pushed out then the temp is the culprit.

If that is not the case, then check your fluid fill... it might be that you need to get a deep pan and lower the level a bit. Some trannies do push the fluid out of the vent at high rpm's due to an overfilled or exactly correct fluid fill condition.

Tell us about your combination... engine, converter, gears etc...

Als tell us a bit more about the conditions when it pushed the fluid out.

g
Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it was bone stock, just a WOT run. Only did it on the 2-3 upshift, the whole bottom of the car would get covered. I now have a TCI deep pan and warm the fluid only comes up to the 80* mark, I did that on purpose for this reason. Seems to be ok now just wanted to know if there was anything I should check for extra wear and tear.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really much to check unless you go inside the unit... If it does not exhibit the symptoms after the deep pan install you whould be good to go!

g
Old 08-05-2007, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone may have had an aftermarket ignition box on the car and set the stock limiter really high so they could use the limiter in the box.
I have this done on my LT1 car. I had Ed Wright set the limiter at 6700 or something outrageous like that so I could use my Accel 300+ for rev limiting duties.