Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny cooler...Is aftermarket enough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny cooler...Is aftermarket enough?

Short story: Bought car from guy...car at a shop with bad tranny. Bought own tranny ready to install. Shop said there is a possibility the tranny cooler in radiator is cracked. Previously bought an aftermarket cooler. Will the aftermarket cooler alone be able to cool enough...temporary until I can get a new radiator, or are all coolers designed to go in series with the original....Any help appreciated
Old 09-08-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bypass the stock radiator. I use a perma cool with a fan on it while bypassing the gay *** radiator.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would be ok if you get one big enough and possiably one with a fan. You really need to put a trans temp gague in to see what your at then drive the car in the worst condition (ie.. middle of summer when temps are 90* outside sitting in traffic) then watch the temps. If the temps go over 200 i would think about a bigger cooler or a fan for the cooler.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

so, the consensus is that at least temporarily, an aftermarket cooler will not only work, but is better than the "gay ***" stock cooler if the temp is less than 200???? What is a good average temp range for the 4l60e? What would be a temp to shoot for under hard use, and where is everyone measuring the fluid temp? (at the pan, after the cooler, before the cooler?) Thanks guys (the cooler measures 12 X 7 1/2 X 3/4)
Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Bypass the stock radiator. I use a perma cool with a fan on it while bypassing the gay *** radiator.
Tell us how you really feel .

I use two coolers in-line. One is a B&M 24K cooler mounted dope style and the other is a Haynes that is mounted in front of the radiator. I bypassed the stock cooler. I have a temp gauge and I take my measurement from the cooler line coming out of the tranny....in essence, the hottest temps the tranny should see. Here in Arkansas, the summers get pretty ridiculous. The past couple of weeks the temp has soared into the 100's with ~90-95% humidity. In stop and go traffic, my temps were ~180* and cruising on the highway they stayed ~160*. If I romp on it a couple times in a row or do a long highway pull, it'd rise to 210* and then fall back immediately after letting off the gas. In the cooler months, I rarely see anything over 150*.

IMO, don't bother with the factory cooler. A big enough aftermarket cooler or two in my case will do the job nicely.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

good adv temps would be 160-180 range and for hard driving,heat,traffic you would like to keep it under 220 or so. Like 99hawk was just saying, after a hard run and the temps get to 200+, it should drop rather quick when normal driving resumes, if it takes a while you probably need more cooling. Me personally, i run the trans through the stock cooler(one in the radiator) then through an after market cooler mounted infront of the radiator. My temps are very similar to 99hawk's, though i have yet to see 200* temps, probably cause i really don't drive the car that far on a day to day basis nor do i sit in traffic.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Tell us how you really feel .
Anytime.