Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS3800 & 3.73's installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SS3800 & 3.73's installed

Just went from stock converter with 2.73's to a Yank ss3800 and some Motive 3.73's. All I have to say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Had the work done at Outlaw Motorsports in Joliet, IL and I've got nothing but good things to say about Tony there. He really worked around my schedule and with all my questions and concerns. Drove it the 320+ miles back to school and have put another ~50mi on since and don't hear any gear whine, none. I was a little scared after hearing some people's stories of gear whine.

As for the feel of it its way different. I wouldn't say it is exactly "tight," but its not so loose that I won't have any problems driving it every day. Its been a pleasure everytime I drive it. It will move around 1200rpms but takes more than that to keep up with traffic. It locks up and drives like it did before with the exception of the gears on the highway. 70mph went from 1800 w/ 2.73 to 2400 w/ 3.73's. So worth it though.

The biggest difference comes from when you lay the hammer down. The first time I punched it was from around 20 and I actually laughed out loud it was so much fun! Its wierd that my car probably now is putting down less HP but pulls so much harder. When you gun it, its alot more furious. I never knew I even had a second gear! I think shift extension was ~48-900. It just keeps pulling. First gear is basically obsolete with my hard Kumho's and the cold weather.

Oh and an added plus, my LT/loudmouth rasp is pretty much gone because its not under the same type of load it was before.

Definitely a must do for any A4 car.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is wierd that a stall seems to take out some of the rasp but drone sucks going up hill.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sounds like you got a winner Tork?, now got to the track and get some timeslips! did you also get a tune along with the install?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
sounds like you got a winner Tork?, now got to the track and get some timeslips! did you also get a tune along with the install?
Yep got a basic tune to go with it: shift points, rev limiter, and some timing and fuel things to go along with the LT's. Also had a trans cooler and TA cover installed.

As long as it doesn't rain on Friday I'm going to go to the local 1/8th mile. Last time out I went 8.68 at 87 with a 2.007 60'. I've got some pretty much bald 555R's but hopefully I can muster some low 8's out of it
Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
Yep got a basic tune to go with it: shift points, rev limiter, and some timing and fuel things to go along with the LT's. Also had a trans cooler and TA cover installed.

As long as it doesn't rain on Friday I'm going to go to the local 1/8th mile. Last time out I went 8.68 at 87 with a 2.007 60'. I've got some pretty much bald 555R's but hopefully I can muster some low 8's out of it
I just went 7.9@80(TM killing the shifts and had to let off before the fininsh line) with just a yank 4200 stall and long tubes and true duals oh and a lid and thats it! also I had hell get the car to 60ft on the BFG DR's! good luck!