Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the gears and the programmer, now the Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the gears and the programmer, now the Tranny?

Hey, well I've gotten my 3.73's and my programmer and my Z's alot mor fun to drive than it was with those 2.73's. But I keep seeing in threads that everyones got a "built tranny with a shift kit". Now I know what a shift kit is but can someone explain what they mean by a "built tranny". Also I'm contemplating on getting the shift kit and was tossing around the idea of a stall, but I have never driven a stalled auto and am not sure what they do and how they work. Thanks everyone for the help
Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as far as a "buit unit"... Consider it to be a severe duty transmission that has many modifications that will enable it to live behind a well built strong engine.

Take a look at the components listed on the websites of the sponsors here for detailed information... then pick up the phone and call in order to discuss it in detail.

As far as the stall converter... it's job is to allow the engine to leave in it's power band... meaning a given engine may not begine to make good power until it get's to 2900 rpm's. A stock converter that stalls to a maximum rpm is going to "lug" that engine down by leaving at a low rpm.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is needed to do a shift kit install. Also which converter is highly recommended, I want my Z to **** & go, as far as the converter install goes do all I need is the converter or is there more to this process?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well.... As far as the shift kit is concerned, you will need someone who is well versed in automatic transmissions, someone who has a working knowledge of your transmission. Point is, you do not want someone "learning or practicing" on your transmission! Then you will need a quality shift kit from a major manufacturer. We use Trans-Go shift kit in the 4L60E's we build.

As far as the converter goes, I really do not think a stall speed much over 3200 rpm is recommended in your application. Lot's of guys go bigger and like it. the installation is pretty straight forward.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss it in detail.

g