Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 Help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 700R4 Help please

I had my tranny rebuild in april. It has a 1 year unlimited mileage warrenty. As it's getting colder here in FL, it takes it a little bit to shift into 4th/overdrive. before that i realized i was losing about 50 miles per tank. then i noticed that at 45+mph and you left off the throttle, you can feel the car slow down and the rpms go up. when you ease back on the throttle,you can feel it go back into overdrive. the tranny shop said something about the lockout. I'm not a tranny guy so is that right? What does a lock out do? All i know is that never did that when i got the car back and i've only put maybe 5-8K miles on the car since april.
another thing it was doing was after shifting from 1 to 2, 2-3, 3-4... now from 4th gear, it felt like it would shift into a 5th gear??? i literally counted from a dead stop at a red light, 1 up to 5. Please help me.
Thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extra shift you feel is the torque converter clutch locking up. This is what your tranny guy referred to as "lock out"
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh the feel of a built trans. Mine does this too in the cooler weather. I was told that its pretty much normal. If your not comfortable with it im sure that a local shop can retune the trans for the weather.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brybe
The extra shift you feel is the torque converter clutch locking up. This is what your tranny guy referred to as "lock out"
But it only has recently done that after putting about 5k miles on the tranny.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spec_j
ahh the feel of a built trans. Mine does this too in the cooler weather. I was told that its pretty much normal. If your not comfortable with it im sure that a local shop can retune the trans for the weather.
i didn't ask him to build it up, i told him i wanted everything rebuild normal b/c it's a daily driver. i did ask to had the servo upgraded to a vette and it came with a rebuild tq. converter. it already had a 10 vain pump from a previous rebuild.