Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transgo shiftkit

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transgo shiftkit

so ls1 gearheads... how difficult is it to install a shift kit into a 4L60E tranny? if there is a link to a step by step installation process please fill me in on it. should i doit in my carport (not a garage)? or take itto a mechanic and have him put it in as well as a TC and tranny cooler?

thanks guys, jeff
Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it would depend on your abilities do this type of work. If you are doing the transgo hd-2 kit it is a little more involved if you are going to install the full kit. It is also recommended that it be installed by a trained professional. It might be a good idea to have someone that has done it before do it. To do the complete kit the pump of the trans needs to be removed in order to remove the input drum. They have you install a set of clutch return springs that can be very tricky to do. Here are the spring cages that will be modified that I am talking about.

Here is the part that comes from transgo that would have to be installed in the input drum. Well if you choose to do so.

Here is a link to the assembly of this drum that I have put together. Post #62 and #63 https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...68#post8336868 Also take a look at all the pictures that the other pictures earlier in that thread. Posts #15 and #18. Will show you what is involved in the install of the valve body to the case. Also there are a couple pictures of the valve body in pieces. https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/800809-flt-takes-wow-factor-lot-pics.html It will give you a better idea of what you will need to do. I do not have the specifics on the shift kit install but I am working on it so stay tuned. The rest of the kit is pretty straight forward with the directions from transgo IMO but then again I have done no joke a thousand plus of them. Enjoy the photo's and as I said this install will depend on you abilities. We do sell the kit and other parts is you would like to get them from us. Good luck. Vince
Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

If you're going to install a TC, then that's a great time to do it when the tranny's out. You can't do the full install with the tranny in the car. I found a guy locally who does them frequently. I recommend going that route unless you're very familiar with the innards of automatics.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Banned

....and if you take the trans apart to do the complete shift kit, I'd recommend a beast sunshell and upgrade the 3-4 clutches. My sunshell was pretty bad looking around the spline area even at 34,000 miles.
It's not impossible to do it yourself but you do need the proper spring compressor tool. The first trans I did was a 700R4, they use the same spring set up shown above.
My fwd spring retainer (the one on the left above) was kinda wavy looking when I was done with it, thought it'd be alright but the fluid on the dipstick had a metallic look to it, that retainer started rubbing part of the fwd sprag. I got a new retainer from GM and gave it another shot and it worked 2nd time.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Launching!

thanks guys for your input!