Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over spinning torque converter? (rpm limit)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over spinning torque converter? (rpm limit)

I am swapping a V6 into a 3rg gen the engine is turbo charged and makes a toutch over 400whp in the FWD car it is in now. the engine is going to get beefed up a bit and will be pulling down just under 600whp @8000rpm

I am planning on mating this engine to a TH350 because they seem to be tough, cheap, and light. I want to run a 4K stall but my concern is that I will find pices of the converter all over the road. I have a aftermarket converter in the FWD application now and I run it to 8500rpm constantly so I know that one is good from trial and error (aka stupidity) the new low mile engine that is going in the comaro will likely see almost 9000rpm on the dyno to test some prototype cams. I just don't want to destroy a converter and a transmission. How do I go about finding rpm limits for converters?
Old 12-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go hit up the manufacturer for specific info, if you're well
outside the normal motor RPM range the question has to
be put plain. You probably want a mfr who spin balances
their product and stakes, welds and then brazes everything
that isn't milled from billet. And you probably want a scatter
shield / blanket just for luck.

At 9000RPM you may run into problems aft of the converter,
bearings need fed and cooled by limited oil supply and the
pump has to like the RPM too. Seems like it's all going to be
one-off special.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Teching In

thanks i'll make some calls. A scattershield is in the to do list for this car.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

could you give some details on the engine(im guessing its out of a sho)??? i know nothing about thats motor.

it sounds like a cool project. good luck
Old 12-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
could you give some details on the engine(im guessing its out of a sho)??? i know nothing about thats motor.

it sounds like a cool project. good luck
yes you are correct. Currently I have a 94 taurus SHO running about 13psi. it easly ran a 12.79 @108 with a horrible 2.0 60'. I cracked a exhaust pipe going to the track so I could not build more that 5 psi off the line where normaly it build full boost without a problem. anyway that car is making right around 400whp on a stock longblock with 232,000miles on it. I did damage the engine over the summer when somebody messed with my MBC and when i installed it I saw 17psi instead of 10 where it was set last time I used it. Now it has horrible blowby to the tune of 1/2 a qt or oil every 4 1/4 mile passes. still got me a 12.7 which broke the previous reccord.

aaaanyway I have a engine on a stand in my garage that has been sitting there for quite some time waiting for a car to go in, and as much as I love having a fast taurus I can't seem to get a transmission to hold the power. the engine in my taurus is getting a set of prototype cams from a SHO vendor. Once I get the before and after results spinning that engine to 8500rpm the cams will be moved to the stand in my gargae and that engine will be installed in my 3rd gen comaro. That engine will also have the SHO engine's only weak link resolved. Any guesses? nope you were wrong the pistons will be replaced. The stockers are good for a 400whp all day but on a 17psi pull in 80-90 deg weather detonation killed them. I have run 17psi in 20-30 deg weather but no traction makes the car no fun to drive anyway because FWD sucks, and no avaliable LSD sucks, and azenis in 20 deg weather sucks... This engine in my garage will be getting wiesco 9.0:1 pistons and will start off with 15psi then once i'm comfortable with the tune 20psi. once i'm comfortable with that tune 25psi then once i'm comfortable with that i'll decide weither I want to do the community a favor and find out what the next weak link is. we know the crank and rods are good for 636whp but anything north of that is uncharted as far as we know.

pistons + fuel + boost make big power on these engines. cams just extend the power band from 6800 to well past 8K. it just boggles my mind that with just pistons I can reliably make 500whp, and only a handfull of people are doing it.

here are a couple of vids of what my little taurus that could can do.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...04015466fc.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/a...000170e843.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/4...dc001e029d.htm

part:1
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0...1d01661618.htm
part:2
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...c40142ae87.htm

Quick Reply: over spinning torque converter? (rpm limit)