Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help car won't stall

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help car won't stall

please help, ever since i got my car back from the trans shop if i foot brake my car i can put the gas to the floor and it will go to 1800rpm and stay, it will not even try to turn the tires over but it does fine from a roll and on the dyno, the trans is a built 4l60e with a ssf tci 3600stall converter and the car put down 545hp to the wheels
Old 01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Well it seems as if your having the same problem I did. I got the trans rebuilt along with a Yank 4k stall broke everything in went to do a linelock and the car sat at 2k and didnt even turn the tires. The car would spin from a roll usually but from a stop it was a dog couldnt even spin the tires. Took the car to a tuner he thought it was mechanical the trans guy said it wasnt him sent the converter back no problems there decided well I might as well buy a 400 dollar stock trans because I know the problem isnt the tune or the stall. So I got the stock trans through it in and it ripped. Took the built trans over to the guy and then had to make some calls and found out the put a non ls1 stator support in. If you had the trans rebuilt the guy might of put a non ls1 stator support in thus why it wont stall up or spin. I think the ls1 requires a certain stator support. The stator support is in the front of trans I think it slides over the input shaft and the converter sits on it. The trans guy through a new (proper) stator support in and it worked fine.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Teching In

i called my trans builder and he said he did change the str housing but assured me he put the right one in so i'm at a loss
Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Well that what it sounds like to me. The builder I had said it was not the trans until I called him and said uh stock trans works like a champ. I went through so much hassle. Was your car fine before the trans? Btw I made numerous posts on here and I was surprised noone here had the answer then I was really stumped because this is a great place to get answers as there alot of smart sponsers and people in this section and on this board.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well using and early stator on and ls1 would certainly eliminate toque multiplication, Though I have never driven a car with this done so I can say exactly how it will act I do know if the one way clutch (sprag) in the converter fails the result will be similar also.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well using and early stator on and ls1 would certainly eliminate toque multiplication, Though I have never driven a car with this done so I can say exactly how it will act I do know if the one way clutch (sprag) in the converter fails the result will be similar also.
Yea thats what happened the guy used a early stator support and it didnt get any torque multiplication. I cant remember but I think the earlier one that he used might of been to short? Either way I wont dealing with him again thus why I went with performabuilt you guys seems to do alot of ls1 trannies and know about these type of cars. I cant wait to get this 4l80e in and see how it shifts im hoping this trans will make the 2-3 and handle what I throw at it.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt

would low pressure cause converter failure like this
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

No I doubt it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Teching In

just curious because i had a cracked case that was causing a loss in pressure which is why it was getting rebuilt and i did not have converter trouble before the rebuild is there anything else (ie something in the trans itself) that would cause the problems i have, thanks for your help
Old 01-09-2008, 11:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Its very unlikley , I would consider that the wrong stator could have been installed in the pump

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Teching In

i talked to tci and they also said it sounded like the sprag in the converter, so i guess i will be pulling the converter, can i check the length on the stator with the converter off?