Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't shift 1-2 under WOT, after trans and converter install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't shift 1-2 under WOT, after trans and converter install.

Alright where to start.
After many head ache's and stresfull nights I've installed a semi built transmission and 4k stall that I bought from a member on here. Along with a 24k B&M trans cooler, dope style. Slightly looser than the stock but not too much. I also mounted some brand spankin new 275/50/15 MT ET radial's. Took it out for a test drive and at wot it won't shift from 1st to 2nd gear it bounces on the rev limiter same sound when the transmission is slipping, I think it shifted from 2-3 in wot. Under normal driving though it shifts into second and all other gear's fine, I took it up to about 80 mph on the highway. So it's only happening under load/wide open thorttle.
I was kind of thinking that it might need a trans tune, maybe change the shift points and other thing's, but no experience with this kind of situation or I haven't read anything about this on here yet... So hopefully you guys that have experienced this can help me out.
BTW I foot braked it to about 2600rpm and it spun the living hell out of the MT's.

PS I don't read horescopes but for some reason I read it the other day and this is it what it said...
"Today you need to slow down and take life as it comes. You may wish for a faster pace, but it won't come until it's ready. It may be a good time to find some new distractions to amuse yourself."
Not something a person that's into drag racing would want to hear.lol

Sorry for the long story, but I was trying to be as detail specfic as possible.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sounds like your hiting what some call stall wall. I would agree you need some tuning , Its a common event.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

yep had the same problem after converter install. bryan at pcmforless tunes my pcmand now no more stall wall!!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stall wall, so a trans tune will fix that. I'll search for some info on that.
If getting a trans tune what other things are ideal to ask get adjusted?
Like torque managment (how much), lock up, shift points? It still has a stock cam so not sure if the shift points can be changed or if it would even do anything? I'm going to be spraying the car though.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Talk to your tuner , If hes exsperinced he will know what and how to do what you need,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-20-2008, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not so quick to rule mechanical issues out until I know some more car and the unit that went into it. But, definately have the tune looked at.

And while your Tuner is in there... ask him to tell you what the Shift Timing PIDS look like. That will give us some insight as to what is happening after the shift is being commanded. I have seen many cars need a tune after very similar modifications.

Tell me more about your combination please. How much H/P, gears, etc.. ?

And some History... what happened to your unit? What was done to the car just prior to the swap of your unit?

Who built the unit you put in the car? Do we know what band / servo combination is in it? Why did the owner sell this combination?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

The previous owner sold me the trans and conveter through this site, I'm not sure of the servo's and sepcs of the build though. I was in need of a trans at the time, and he told me he had this setup that he would sell me, he got a good deal from his buddy on a built 350, rvmb, and converter. When I bought the transmisson, my trans in my car wasn't working, during the shipping time I got a good deal on a factory transmission with only 20k miles off a 2002 SS Camaro. So I put the transmission on my 98 Trans Am, worked flawlessly. And I just put the trans aside untill now.

Last edited by BLOWN SS/T; 01-20-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thanks for the info.

If you would like to discuss this is detail tomorrow I will be at the shop.

I walk guys through tuning issues often.

If you are near the D/FW area I could help you a whole bunch!

Good Luck either way...

g
Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another thing on transmission, I noticed that the front pump is blue the edges were kind of peeling.

Well another problem.
I did a small burnout IN my buddys backyard, probaly not the smartest thing to do since I should have got alittle more seat time with the trans just to make sure everything was okay. Well after the burnout it everything seemed well, so I was heading out of town and got on the highway and maybe about an 1/4 mile into the highway I look in the rearview, and I see smoke coming out of the rear of the car, so I put the trans in N and pulled off. I get off the car and I notice trans oil on my windshield, I pop the hood and my engine bay and hood is covered with transmission oil. What I did notice is that drivers side engine bay had more oil. I looked under the car and a puddle of oil of the floor. I turned the car on to see if I could reverse, and it would barley move with mid rev's and put in D and same thing. My buddys got me 2 quarts of trans oil and I put the in the car, it was dark outside so I couldn't really see to much with me standing on the passange side, I felt warm oil splashing in my face as I poured, when I got home I saw my sweater had splashs of trans oil. So I turned it back on and it wouldn't move in D, my buddy got in the car and got it to go in reverse with some rev's I but it was spilling out the oil so we just turned it off and towed it back into town. We straped the car and towed through backroads in nuetral, I was in my car and I noticed a sound like something was spinning or loose, something in the drivetrain. Olny thing I can think about is the converter bolt's, I have a 98 with allen style bolts, so I went out and bought some of the post 98 stlye blots then found out they wouldn't fit the converter, I went to a local speed shop and the guy cleand up the threads since they were dirty and gave me 3 bolts I think they were 3/8". But the bolt's didn't look like a high grade bolt instead they looked like a regular steel bolt. So that's the only thing I can think about is that the bolts didn't hold up.
I'll lift the car tommarow, but I don't know where to start now, what should I look for, can I expect the transmission to be bad now?
Sorry for the long story but not trying to leave out any detail.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Tell me more about your combination please. How much H/P, gears, etc.. ?

And some History... what happened to your unit? What was done to the car just prior to the swap of your unit?
Sorry forgot to answer this info, well it's a 98 Trans Am with a bit over 100k. Mods are an air lid with borla catback and when I prior to the first transmission breaking I was spraying a 75 shot and the moved up to a 100 shot. Right after I put the other stock 2002 transmission I upped the pills to a 150 shot and it ran a 12.2 @ 118 with a 2.0 60'. The car hasent had a tune, just lid,catback, and juice on 18" DR's. With this other built trans and converter I added a poly torque arm since the factory was tore up pretty bad. No dyno time yet but I would guess it has the 300 or less RWHP on motor and maybe maybe 100-125 extra RWHP from the 150 shot since it probaly needs some tuning to get the full 150 HP. And the gears are the factory 3.23's.