Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift problem at w.o.t

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift problem at w.o.t

When driving my car at w.o.t the car somtimes wont shift from 2nd to 3Rd it will redline and stay there for a while and then finally shift. Has anybody had this happen? Is it a tranny issue or programming?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Could be either , excessive 3-4 clutch clearance can cause this but also with power adders it may be nessary to add a little more room between comanded shift and the rev limiter as with these the RPM climb faster while the time it takes the trans to shift remains constant. First I Would drop the pan and change the fluid and filter to evaluate the general condition of the trans , How many miles are on it ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

58,000 .Change the fluid at 54,000.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98 and 99 model years are the worst Operating Systems to try to dial in. How long ago was you Tune modified?

What was the fluid condition at the time of the recent service?

Also, prior to this most recent service, how long had it been since it was done?

Most of the time when this symptom comes up and there has not been any other change in the car the issue os replated to excessive clearance in the 3/4 clutch pack. And it is not long after this symptom 1st shows up that the 3/4 clutches fail if it is contiinually driven hard.

If you would like to discuss this in detail feel free to give me a call at the shop.

g
Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

The tune was done with the 3.42 gears about a thousand miles ago and the fluid was clean when i change it. There was no burnt smell it was red in color with very little material in the bottom of the pan. When i first put the 3.42 gears in it did this once or twice but then did not do it for a while.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the tune rechecked.

If it is intermittant, I am afraid your unit has internal issues. This is a very classic set of conditions IMHO. 3.42's are not at all abusive on these units, age and incorrect tunes are brutal on them though!

Focus on the tune and then see how it foes. If it does not change after the tune is dialed in for the gears,then it will need to come out and be modifid so that any other mods or tuning cannot affect it in the future.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the tune does not fix this, put a pressure gauge on the transmission and "see" what pressure you are getting? Yes, the 3-4 clutches could be starting to go away, but lets see what the pressures are first. Do not let this problem happen again till you take a reading. There is good chance to solve this if the readings are low. But if you continue having this problem, it will not be long till you will be going through the unit.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by PBA
If the tune does not fix this, put a pressure gauge on the transmission and "see" what pressure you are getting? Yes, the 3-4 clutches could be starting to go away, but lets see what the pressures are first. Do not let this problem happen again till you take a reading. There is good chance to solve this if the readings are low. But if you continue having this problem, it will not be long till you will be going through the unit.
True allowing this to happen repeatedly I have noted will kill the 3-4 clutch

Call 888-744-6542