Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what I need to use to bolt a C5 trans to the motor? No torque tube

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know what I need to use to bolt a C5 trans to the motor? No torque tube

I'm building a rear engine car and am using a C5 drive train. Does anyone know a vendor or someone who machines a bell housing to bolt to the trans and motor? Like a traditional setup.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WoW with all the Tranny Pros here I would have thought an answer would show up ASAP!

But I have done this before about 8 years ago, you use the 5.7 vortec 4l60-e bellhousing and the matching converter
You will need a spacer to allow the converter pilot to mate to the crank and the correct flexplate for the bolt pattern an 1998-99 style would work or an aftermarket model with multi bolt pattern
but the engine is far foward and not a rear engine more like a mid engine
Good luck
Old 02-08-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yank, thank's. It's a mid engine setup that is correct.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Yank
WoW with all the Tranny Pros here I would have thought an answer would show up ASAP!

But I have done this before about 8 years ago, you use the 5.7 vortec 4l60-e bellhousing and the matching converter
You will need a spacer to allow the converter pilot to mate to the crank and the correct flexplate for the bolt pattern an 1998-99 style would work or an aftermarket model with multi bolt pattern
but the engine is far foward and not a rear engine more like a mid engine
Good luck
Where can I get this type of spacer?

I am doing this right now, and I bolted the engine and trans together tonight. The convertor pilot is about 3/4-1" from being seated in the crank. I am using a C5 trans and convertor, a 5.3L truck engine, and a bellhousing from a RWD 4L60E that was advertised as coming from a LS1 vehicle.

Thanks
Ken
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BB69
Where can I get this type of spacer?

I am doing this right now, and I bolted the engine and trans together tonight. The convertor pilot is about 3/4-1" from being seated in the crank. I am using a C5 trans and convertor, a 5.3L truck engine, and a bellhousing from a RWD 4L60E that was advertised as coming from a LS1 vehicle.

Thanks
Ken
I think the bell you have is going to be an issue. Reason being is the trans that you have has a 298mm style stator and input shaft. With the ls1 bell it is a deeper bell that uses the 300mm input shaft and stator. With that being said, when you bolt the converter to the flexplate, it will pull out of the transmission. You need a lt1 style bell not the ls1 because of the trans that you are using. A crank spacer will still be needed. They can be purchased directly from the dealer. Sorry I do not have a part #. Vince
Old 05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Vince,
Thanks for the reply. I started reading more about the LT1 and LS1 bellhousings trying to find all the differences. Although my tranny was advertised as coming from a LS car, it seems like it may be from a LT1. Here are pics of the bellhousing, the numbers cast in the donor tranny, and the sticker that came on the donor tranny. It doesn't have the bolt at the top center, so it looks like LT1. Am I right? If so, I should be able to bolt up the flexplate and the simply buy the spacer for the pilot, right?

This is a picture of the bellhousing bolted to the C5 tranny body and the C5 convertor.

Thank a bunch for the help. I thought I had this all figured out.

Ken
Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Launching!

Has anybody found out that spacer part number...

Second, how long it the Engine tranny combo from the CV Axles to the front of the Accessories...

Third, Is the T56 the same length, cv axles to the front of the bell housing, as the A4 for the Vette

Lastly, What would be different if you wanted to use the T56...

I lied lastly is the A6 from the C6 the same length as the A4...

Sorry for all the questions I saw this thread and it peaked my interest for a car I want to build, but I will try to search for them myself also.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what I need to use to bolt a C5 trans to the motor? No torque tube