Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pan gaskets... What do you guys recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pan gaskets... What do you guys recommend?

Cork? Rubber? Fiber?

Right now I'm using rubber gasket w/ silicon copper gasket and mine doesn't quite have the seal. I'm trying to see if there are better options out there.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the gm plastic gasket with the rubber oring around it and torque limiting rings around the bolt holes, reused it several times and it still doesn't leak or even weep oil.

Rubber and silicone only work if the surfaces are 100% oil free. Cork works sometimes but usually weeps.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I use the gm plastic gasket with the rubber oring around it and torque limiting rings around the bolt holes, reused it several times and it still doesn't leak or even weep oil.

Rubber and silicone only work if the surfaces are 100% oil free. Cork works sometimes but usually weeps.

Where did you get this special gasket? I've never heard of it. Dealer?
Old 02-23-2008, 06:59 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What type of trans are we talking about here. I use a fibre gasket for our 4l60e transmissions with a good/new factory pan. With a 4l80e I will use the oem reusable gasket with the factory pan. With aftermarket pans I will use a fibre gasket. Always make sure that your pan perfectly flat and always make sure not to over torque it. Vince
Old 02-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
What type of trans are we talking about here. I use a fibre gasket for our 4l60e transmissions with a good/new factory pan. With a 4l80e I will use the oem reusable gasket with the factory pan. With aftermarket pans I will use a fibre gasket. Always make sure that your pan perfectly flat and always make sure not to over torque it. Vince
Stock 4L60E pan. Yeah, I was instructed to not over torque the bolts so I didn't. I made sure the pan was clean and oil free when I put the silicon/rubber gasket but still have the occasional weeps. As far as I know my stock pan is still good. No scuff marks or deep gauges or pits and straight.

So I'll be buying new gasket and wondering if any of you fellas can help me out where and what to buy a BETTER one than I have been using.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We use the fibre one as I stated above. If you were close to us I would just say stop by the shop. If you have a Chevy dealer near you I would go there. The gasket they will sell you is very similar to what I use. It will be a black fibre gasket. When you have the pan down take a straight edge and run it along the bolt holes lengthwise. I find that the pan in your cars always seem to be tweaked where the cable bracket bolts to the pan. We do sell new pans if you need one. If need be give me a call. Vince
Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Trunion King

Thanks Vince. I'll give you a call if I do need a new pan.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the rubber ones because they will hold the bolts while you put the pan in place
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vince is all over it. I had the o ring molded gasket from GM on my 4l80 with the stock pan and it worked fine. As soon as I switched to a deep pan and used the o rin molded gasket it leaked. Had to switch to the rubber gasket.

Quick Reply: Pan gaskets... What do you guys recommend?