Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e40d ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e40d ????

I just finished an e40d in a 95 f 150 4x4 and it seems to be all good but it seems that it may be a little slow to hit reverse it seems to take a second or less but it is not instant as forward is. does anyone have any suggestions.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if its going in solid and moving without slipping and in less tha a second it may be normal, There is much more going on with the reverse engagement than forward, More drums to fill with fluid etc,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-25-2008, 06:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a couple of ways to take care of that at the time of the rebuilt. One of which is to remove every other spring in the low piston spring cage. There are a couple other mods that can be done to the valve body separator plate and the internal valve body. Don't have my notes with me at the moment. I will have to take a peak tomorrow to see if I have an easy solution for you. Vince
Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Default thanks guys

thanks alot guys I just wanted to make sure that it was not a sign something was wrong.. it shifts solid and when it is supposed to in forward
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Default another ??

Ok ntoday I went out and test drove the truck again and the delay to reverse is worse on a cold morning start-up it took about 4 or 5 sec. to engage but after it warmed up it was fine back to a sec. or less. also on the highway in overdrive engage and disengage it will make a quick whine in and out of o.d.. I turned the overdrive off and could not get it to reproduce but it doesnot always do it.

please help
Old 02-27-2008, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ls67
Ok ntoday I went out and test drove the truck again and the delay to reverse is worse on a cold morning start-up it took about 4 or 5 sec. to engage but after it warmed up it was fine back to a sec. or less. also on the highway in overdrive engage and disengage it will make a quick whine in and out of o.d.. I turned the overdrive off and could not get it to reproduce but it doesnot always do it.

please help
The whine in OD is not a good sign. However on reverse. being more delayed when cold only I would suggest adding 1 quart of fluild. The E4OD are notorious for inacurate dipstick readings.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Did you use a reprogram kit such as Transgo's Tugger kit? It ususally cures delays in reverse. I would not remove every other spring from the lo-reverse cage as it will engage very firm. Look at the line mod valve and sleeve assembly. It could be loose in the bore. Also was there a wave plate in the bottom of the reverse clutches? I've seen people leave it out and cause a delay or not have the right clutch clearance. If you replaced the reverse pressure plate, (the thick one on top), there are different thicknesses. Hope this helps.PS, it is true the Ford dip stick readings are not perfect. We add 3/16" above the full mark.