Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manually shifting a A4 98 Z28? 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manually shifting a A4 98 Z28? 4L60E

i know that everyone says this is bad and i rarely do it but the other night i put it down in 1st, stomped it, shifted into 2nd, but it didn't shift into 2nd...it hit the revlimiter instead, but if i leave it alone and let the computer do the shifting it runs through all of the gears as normal, why can't i manual shift? i am shifting it way before the revlimiter and it still doesn't go into 2nd...it just tachs up in 1st and hits the revlimiter...but if i let off the gas it will go into
2nd gear...but like i said before when i leave it alone and the computer does the shifting it shifts just fine, tranny is stock as far as i know, any ideas?
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

My 94 does the same thing.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 STOP DOING THAT

#2 the computer cannot get the fluid in there fast enough to shift, if you manually do it.

#3 Keep doing that your going to blow the trans.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

The computer has nothing to do with the fluid getting anywhere fast enough. Have your park neutral switch, or manual lever position sensor, looked at on a scanner while your driving. The computer only sends signals to the trans to perform the commands it is asked for. There could be something electically wrong or internally wrong. I've shifted my trans manually for years without any problems. There is not enough info to diagnos your problem. I would start with a breakout box to watch the inputs and outputs as they are happening while you are driving. We use the TranX 2000. It will read voltage, amperage, & resistance. It will also show you in real time what the computer is doing. Get a manual to make sure your peramters are correct. If you are not getting a signal to the computer, the trans won't shift. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm think about your question. "Why can't I shift it manually?".
Do you have full-manual valve bodies? The automatic transmission is just that...automatic. Put in full manual valve bodies if you want to drive it like a manual. You will lose the 4L60e just like I did if you keep it up. Get the car tuned and get the shift sequences played with and the computer will drop down the trans for you w/out as big a risk as if you do it manually.

Quick Reply: manually shifting a A4 98 Z28? 4L60E