Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ratchet shifter - B&M QuickSilver

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ratchet shifter - B&M QuickSilver

Ok I'll admit I'm new to these and being in the UK such a setup is very rare so I need some help from you guys.

I've seen this ratchet shifter:

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id...ubcat=1&pid=10

Now what I need is some insight on what it's like to install, use and what else I need.

As I understand it allows you to more easily manually shift the gears, I guess a bit like some of the modern step-tronic style setups.

If this is the case can I assume it doesn't affect being able to be used as a regular shifter and leave it in D and let it do the work?

How easy would it be to install one of these on a 4l60e in a 99 Camaro?

And what else would be needed? (I'm guessing something like Transgo shift kit )

Also how well would it stack up to being used with a 3600rpm stall.

As for those who have used/got one of these how responsive are the shifts? I guess this is more down to the tranny itself. But when you want to upshift does it do it straight off? Or is there delay?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey UK...I can't offer any installation tips but I had this shifter in my '70 Camaro. The car was strictly drag race. The converter was a PTC 8" 5000 on a built TH350. It ran/is running mid to low 10's and I never had a problem with it. I loved it, in fact.

I'm sure you can just drop it in drive and let it work but that will depend on how the tranny is set up. The shifter can handle either application. In my case, I had a manual valve body in the tranny, so it had to be shifted.

It was very simple to operate. Just pick up on the shifter (towards the roof of the car) and pull it back to D then let it drop. From there, it's two quick ratchets and your'e in low (1st) gear. Then, when you take off and reach your desired shift point just bump the shifter forward and let go. Mine changed gears immediately but again, that will be a tranny issue. Two quick ratchets forward and you're in drive. If you happen to accidentally ratchet it forward one more time, you'll hit neutral and hopefully you have a high rev chip...lol. But from neutral, you can't ratchet forward and hit reverse. The shifter has to be lifted towards the roof again from D and then forward to R for backing up. A nice safety feature.

I'm DEFINITELY not a tranny guru but in my best guess, I would say that this shifter will not work on a 4L60E because of overdrive. The Quick Silver I had only had D, 2,and 1...hence, a 3speed transmission. The 4L is, of course a 4 speed.

Best advice is to call B&M. I'm sure they can put you on a shifter (with all the instructions) for the 4L60E.

BTW, fill us Americans in on what you guys pay for your petro. I know because I've worked with a few guys from Middlesborough..lol. It might make some of these guys feel a little better about paying $3.50 per gallon.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have one friend who had this shifter before he swapped to 6spd. another friend who currently has it on his th350. one friend who has the shifter and just hasnt put it on his th350 yet. and ME, i have one in my bedroom that will be going on hopefully in the next two weeks. i have a 4L60E with a mvb and yes it will work. summit sells the shifter for universal fit. it comes with all necessary parts to make it fit in just about any vehicle. you just have to do light modifications to your console to make it look good.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Thanks for that info Riceeter. I honestly didn't know if it were possible or not. Obviously they make a model that fits the 4L60E then.

From B&M:
"(* fits 4L60E when used with custom installation where an aftermarket controller is used to command the transmission. 4L60E factory neutral safety switch may interfere with B&M shift lever on '97 and later transmissions). "

That's why I said I wasn't a tranny guru...lol
Old 05-16-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for your replies. I'll email B&M today and see what they say.

As for fuel prices here in the UK - you don't want to know.....

95 RON (that's like your normal 91 octane) is £1.11/litre $8.14/gallon

97-99 RON Superunleaded (93+ octane) is £1.18/litre $8.65/gallon
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Thanks for your replies. I'll email B&M today and see what they say.

As for fuel prices here in the UK - you don't want to know.....

95 RON (that's like your normal 91 octane) is £1.11/litre $8.14/gallon

97-99 RON Superunleaded (93+ octane) is £1.18/litre $8.65/gallon
Hey, anytime man.
$8.65/GALLON!!!!!!!
Holy **** . I knew it was gonna be high but I thought it would be in the low 7 dollar range for 93.
G/L with that.

Quick Reply: Ratchet shifter - B&M QuickSilver