Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak after converter install (dipstick tube issues)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Leak after converter install (dipstick tube issues)

Ok so me and my buddies got the stall in and everything fine. The dipstick tube seems to be a pain in the butt. The rubber boot or whatever it is; that should be on the end of the stick is no longer in one piece. I put some sealant around the dipstick tube for a temporary fix. I really loaded it up with that stuff. It still has a slow leak, just wondering if I should try and find this rubber boot and scrape off that high temp sealant and try and get it back on or should i just slap some more of that sealant on there on there and see if that helps. Also, the bolt for that dipstick tube has been misplaced. Anyone know where i could find another and any tips on getting installed on the back of the head? Real pain in the butt.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would get another boot trans shop will likely have one and the boot has to go in the trans then put some lubricant in the boot and on the tube and stick it in . You cannot have the rubber boot on the tube before you stick it in the trans it will tear

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would get another boot trans shop will likely have one and the boot has to go in the trans then put some lubricant in the boot and on the tube and stick it in . You cannot have the rubber boot on the tube before you stick it in the trans it will tear
So get all that sealant crap off and find a boot...stick some lube on and i should be good to go.

Any advice on that bolt for the dipstick tube?

Thanks alot, looks like it's only leaked a few drops in an hours so I should be ok till I get it fixed...it's not a daily driver.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

careful not to break the tube though, happened to me. If you can't get it worked out and have a hard time finding another tube to replace yours with, I have an aftermarket one that flexes and is REALLY easy to install. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you take out the tube its goana leak fluid if you filled it already i think....

also its goana be a pain to get the tube all the way out of the tranny to put in that new grommet
Old 05-15-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by daniel6718
when you take out the tube its goana leak fluid if you filled it already i think....

also its goana be a pain to get the tube all the way out of the tranny to put in that new grommet
exactly, this happened when i took it off. maybe i should just put some more high temp sealant on it.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silicone is absolutely TABOO on an auto trans. Get the boot and do it right, no more leaks! You can get a 15MM swivel socket and 3' extension and remove the bolt. Lift the stick just enough to get the boot out and back in. Get some Vaseline and coat the boot or end of the tube, you don't need alot. Stick the tube in and bolt the tube down to the head. If the bolt won't stay in the swivel socket, get your silicone and put some in the socket and press the bolt in then carefully screw the bolt into the head. Job done!