Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a stall change with more power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does a stall change with more power?

I have a new box and stall fitted up and am already concerned that the stall speed is a little high. I have a head and cam combo going on so want to know if the stall speed will rise as the power does or will that actually make it lock harder and at lower revs
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Launching!

the more tq you make the higher/looser the stall will become.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by STALL UP
the more tq you make the higher/looser the stall will become.
agreed, its about the torque.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a fact that if you take a converter that was designed to stall at 3,000 rpm in a stock application and you install it in a 500 h/p application it will stall much higher. That's just an example.

Torque Converters must be matched for to the given powertrain combination.

g
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I have a new stall with good bearings furnace brazing throughout etc, will I damage it by upping the power and putting it into a different rpm range? I am thinking of just seeing how much it goes to with the extra power and if works for power just leaving it.

I don't want to damage it, that is my concern
Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

More power can damage a converter, it just depends on how much power and how well the converter was built. What exactly are you doing? Type of converter and going from what to what.

Chris
Old 06-26-2008, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Circle-D
More power can damage a converter, it just depends on how much power and how well the converter was built. What exactly are you doing? Type of converter and going from what to what.

Chris
Type of convertor? I'm not very knowledgeble on them so can't really give details. Torrington bearings, no billet stuff AFAIK, lock up clutch, apparently it's highly reinforced.

The builder said he didn't want to go for a heavy assembly because my car at best will only make 340hp 550ft/lb
at the wheels and is a torque. It's an L67 (V6).

I'm told the converter needs revs to be at its' best but I'm making most of my power below 4000rpm and after that it levels out.

It's a daily driver by the way and weighs 3900lb
Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chargedvx6
Type of convertor? I'm not very knowledgeble on them so can't really give details. Torrington bearings, no billet stuff AFAIK, lock up clutch, apparently it's highly reinforced.

The builder said he didn't want to go for a heavy assembly because my car at best will only make 340hp 550ft/lb
at the wheels and is a torque. It's an L67 (V6).

I'm told the converter needs revs to be at its' best but I'm making most of my power below 4000rpm and after that it levels out.

It's a daily driver by the way and weighs 3900lb
I am a little confused. You are putting this converter in a different car or just adding a little more power to your current setup? If you are just changing cam or something I would think you will be fine, but with out knowing anything about the converter it is impossible to tell how much HP it can take.

Chris
Old 06-27-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Circle-D
I am a little confused. You are putting this converter in a different car or just adding a little more power to your current setup? If you are just changing cam or something I would think you will be fine, but with out knowing anything about the converter it is impossible to tell how much HP it can take.

Chris
I just had the box built and a new converter went in at the same time. I guess my question is....will I need to remove the stall at a later stage and have it adjusted?

After the head and cam go on it will only jump about 100hp anyways so time will tell.

Chris it would be good if someone started a thread about how performance convertoers work and the relevance of the aftermarket parts that go into them.