Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrades suggestions here on c5 4l60E

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default upgrades suggestions here on c5 4l60E

I ran my freshly rebuilt tranny kinda hard and im putting down a little over 400 rwhp and i lost everything past 1st gear. My car has heads and cam done with a few other bolt ons. I dont drive it often but it is a weekend warrior. I have a yank 2800 stall and a tranny cooler. Given i want this thing to last what parts do you tranny guys recommend i use? i want to know what is recommended and whats the best from your past experience. I got a beast sungear and kevlar bands the last time and alto 3-4 clutch pack with transgo shift improver kit and fairbanks super servo but the tranny didnt last but 2k miles.

thoughts? all info and recommendations are greatly appreciated. how would you build my tranny givin i am going to be rough on it but it is a non track car.

thanks tons,

Jeff
Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlow3
I ran my freshly rebuilt tranny kinda hard and im putting down a little over 400 rwhp and i lost everything past 1st gear. My car has heads and cam done with a few other bolt ons. I dont drive it often but it is a weekend warrior. I have a yank 2800 stall and a tranny cooler. Given i want this thing to last what parts do you tranny guys recommend i use? i want to know what is recommended and whats the best from your past experience. I got a beast sungear and kevlar bands the last time and alto 3-4 clutch pack with transgo shift improver kit and fairbanks super servo but the tranny didnt last but 2k miles.

thoughts? all info and recommendations are greatly appreciated. how would you build my tranny givin i am going to be rough on it but it is a non track car.

thanks tons,

Jeff
Simply put. The combination of soft parts and hydraulic circuit modifications is what is going to keep it alive.

Get rid of the Alto clutches. Get the HD-2 kit, not the improver kit.

Then take it to a professional who knows what they are doing. Unless you are willing to take it in and out several times you need to get an experienced builder on it!

Here is a thread that has some links to a couple of videos C5 cars running our units.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/952889-respectable-loss-you-judge.html

g
Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Ratchthed. It will be an experienced rebuilder rebuilding my unit. Im just trying to do my own research making sure my chances of breaking it again are slimmer. What clutch pack do you think i should use? and band suggestions? Im serious...I will be hard on it. i mantain it but i do hammer on it and play with a lot of porsches and exotics.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do you guys think about the 5 pin planetary gear? do i need it?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Take a look at my website. Go to my Stage 3 build. That is the one you need. Feel free to fashion a build after the components listed.

Some shops use the "gimmick" clutches, we do not. We tried them many, many countless times when we were developing our Racing 4L60E's. Fact is, the Borg Warner High Energy clutches are what we use. And they are the preferred clutch for the best of the best across the nation.

Good Luck with it. Take a look at my sales thread. It might be worth your while! It would be a pleasure working with you on this build.

g
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you! I will take a look. If this guy wasnt going to warranty this out i would def. buy one from you. I appreciate the info though and maybe next vehicle we can do some buisness. Do you sell just the parts by chance?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

No I do not. The biggest reason is I cannot sell you the components that will ensure success. Meaning, the hydraulic systems modifications are paramount to keeping these units together. This ain't yer daddy's TH400.

Unfortunately we have had a few guys buy parts, not be successful and then come to us for the build in the log run. I don't like seeing guys go through that.

Do you homework on this build. And keep this in mind.... if you builder was really good at building these, you wouldn't be here asking me how to build 'em.

Good Luck with the next round! Holler if you need to!

g
Old 07-14-2008, 02:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Anyone else

I would like to know anyone elses experience with clutch packs. z-pac or max packs? 8clutch or 9?

Im keeping the beast sungear and super servo but thus far I have decided to upgrade to the transgo shift kit hd2 and now need to decide on clutch packs. and if the 5 pin gear is worth getting?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Alto Carbon fiber power band?

I just noticed this was somwhat new. Anyone think this would be a good idea to use?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM
FormerVendor

The Carbon Fiber band is not new to the market place. Other manufacturers have been offering it for quite some time.

That band when coupled with the aftermarket servos.. particularly the Fairbanks servo can be abusive to the Reverse Input Drum that the band interacts with.

We reserve that combination for the highest horsepower or track only combinations.

g
Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

It seems like your shaking your head no to this idea? Im currently slightly quicker than a supercharged z06 on the street so i know i have a decent amount of power but probably not enought to use this band?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Well it's not a matter of making "enough" power. It's a matter of the Drum wearing prematurely. Clients with high horsepower cars expect this condition because we tell them to expect it. That's all I'm saying here.

If it were my unit to build... I would run a stock servo or a Sonnax servo with an Alto band in conjunction with proprietary modifications to the 2-3 upshift hydraulic circuitry.

g
Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will try that. Thanks a ton.

Quick Reply: upgrades suggestions here on c5 4l60E