Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI flexplate/ARP TC bolt questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TCI flexplate/ARP TC bolt questions

Well I ordered a TCI flexplate and ARP torque converter bolts as well as ARP flexplate bolts. My question is that the bolts look to be short, there are only a few threads sticking out and I'm not sure if they're enough. I don't want to pull the threads out of the torque converter. Also, they look to be way too small for the holes in the flexplate. I'm afraid that they might move around from side to side when it switches from the forward gears to reverse. It just looks problematic to me. Here's some pictures, what do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TCI flexplate and had problems with the ARP bolt heads hitting the lower oil pan, so I couldn't use them.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, after seeing mine I was worried about that as well. The ARP bolts seem to have a much larger head on them as compared to the stockers but with the recesses in the flexplate I think It'll be alright. We'll see tomorrow when I put this thing back together. Hey DrkPhx, were your bolts smaller like mine were in the very last picture?... this is what worries me the most...
Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My converter doesnt have any threads, just lil legs I guess you can call em welded to the lil converter so I will have to use bolts with wiashers and locktite. I read to just get the biggest size that would fit and to check clearance for bolt heads. Apparently clearance is a concern depending on what bolts you use so do be careful.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
My question is that the bolts look to be short, there are only a few threads sticking out and I'm not sure if they're enough.
I'm just getting caught up, after not being on here in about two weeks...

Can't see the pictures, but if you have just a few threads hanging out, you need longer bolts. The rule of thumb is that you should have at least as much bolt hanging out, as the bolt is wide. And the tip of the bolt where the thread is just half-height doesn't count...

So if the bolt is 3/8" wide for example, you need at least 3/8" of fully threaded bolt sticking through.

Maybe a little more if the hole in the tq converter doesn't have full threads at the very top of the hole...
Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down very god!

spammer

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 07-26-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Take the bolts that you removed from the stock flexplate, and go to a specialty store and purchace longer grade 8 bolts.

SteveC