Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling Trans?

I have a FLT sitting on the floor waiting to go in. So we are pulling mine out obviously, but we are having some trouble. We have everything undone:
8 Bellhousing bolts
2 sensors
Torque arm
Driveshaft
Crossmember
3 TC bolts

But the trans acts like it has another bolt it in still. It is only on the dowel pins (which appear to be rusted). We have pried, hammered, pulled and pushed to get this thing out. We had two screw drivers shoved in between the bellhousing and oil pan and had a little gap, but thats it. Have any of yall ever encountered a 4l60e thats like fused to the block? Im in a pickle
Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just pulled mine today and it was a bitch to get it out i had a buddy on the passenger side and me on the driver and we just pulled like hell at once and that thing just dropped it was hard to get it out
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

We have been pulling and prying on it for two days now. This is on a 2000 TA btw I forgot to mention that. The car is on jackstands with everything disconnected minus the exhaust but I dont know how that could be compromising the transmission from disconnecting from the block if its held on by nothing but the dowel pins. Whenever we pry, the whole motor moves along with the whole exhaust system. Same goes for shaking and pulling etc....
Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh, it sucks. several members said to get another person and to kick the rear of the tranny as hard as you can from both sides. i tried that and i couldn't get it. i ended up breaking it free with a crow bar.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

Im really afraid Im going to break the casing though if I do that. Lol. Sponsors any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

i did this yesterday. i found out the trans almost has to be perfectly level for it to slip out. it cant be sagging down at all. mine came out pretty easy once i leveled it out.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you do have everything disconnected like the driveshaft, exhaust hanger, shift linkage, torque arm
Old 07-16-2008, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
i did this yesterday. i found out the trans almost has to be perfectly level for it to slip out. it cant be sagging down at all. mine came out pretty easy once i leveled it out.
Just pulled mine 2 days ago and this was very true for me. as soon as i leveled the tranny back out, i gave one pry with a small crow-bar and bam she was free.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Yes everything is disconnected, minus the exhuast, but I have TD's which clear the trans on both sides and will clear it on the way down. Im really confused...I have never seen a transmission this stuck.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

They don't come off easy the first time, man. Keep prying. Lube the dowels with PB blaster and use a big pry bar. It took us forever and a lot of prying to get mine off the first time we dropped it.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Ill have to try lubing the dowels. I have a couple of screw drivers shoved in the bottom and have a small gap going, but it does not continue all the way around the trans. Its almost like the bellhousing is bending if that makes any sense. When we pry that small gap, we get no where. And having LTs, and being on jackstands isnt helping any either.....
Old 07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

You're not gonna bend the bellhousing. Just keep prying with those screwdrivers. Eventually you'll get it to unseat itself from those dowels. Just keep wedging them in there. Been there, done that.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

true true, make sure the tranny is level. i had mine sitting on the tranny jack while i was banging it. i did use some pb blaster as well. i am not sure if it worked or not but i did use it.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:31 AM
12 Second Club

Well it came out tonight after we had been on it about 10 minutes or so. We got a ratchet strap and tied it around the tailshaft and the rear end and started cranking until it was about to bust (500lb rating) and got a BMF'n prybar in the starter hole and went at it. We got nothing with this so we tried some PB blast and sat for a few minutes and gave it one more go. It took everything I had, but sure enough it budged a little. One more and one side popped off the dowel pin. Went to the other side with the same result. After that we started bustin some *** putting everything back up in. FLT Level 4 and Vig 4000. (Very nice set up for anyone who is looking to get one. Makes me happy and makes my tires smokin with anger and fury ) Oddly enough, the new setup went in alot easier than it came out. We made sure to sand the rust off of the dowels, and grease the hell out of them. That helped a bunch. We ran in to some little things though that were a pain. Getting the dipstick in turned out to be a bitch. We had to cut a half inch off of it and took about an hour jackin with it and it finally went in. The torque arm gave us hell too. The test drive made it all very worth it though.

I want to thank Vince and Chuck at FLT :-). Very helpful and very nice.
So far so good. I did notice that my slight tick has became more distinct however and almost sounds like it could be a slight knock. You cant ever have it done though with one of these cars. Well see as time progresses :-/.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Told ya.