Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this guy nuts or is it me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this guy nuts or is it me?

As in the sig I have a '00 Z28 with a few bolt-ons, I just talked to a guy at a trans shop about getting a my trans serviced, and then I asked him about firming up the shifts a bit, I mentioned that I had a 3200 stall and i felt that the shifts were slow and soft and he responded with; "Why the hell are you running that high of a stall on a street car? Unless you are running 7-800 HP street/strip car there is no reason to run that high of a stall"

I thought my 3200 was just fine for my setup and would probably get me through my mods until I get to the head and cam swap but that is way down the road.

Am I wrong here or is this guy just lacking in LSX knowledge?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

he has no clue.........i am using a pt 4000 on the street......
Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another reason to not go to a local transmission shop for repairs or upgrades on these units.

The man is an idiot. He has no idea how to make a combination work. He has no idea about your car!!! You would be a fool to engage in business with him.

Good Luck.

g
Old 08-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

OK that is what I thought too, I don't want to go to a shop that has no experience with an LSX setup, if he had the experience he would know what our cars powerbands are like and that 3200 is not outrageous. I was hoping to shave a little bit off my ET due to slow soft shifts, my best is 13.1 right now, i want to sneak into the 12's
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by heymoej
he has no clue.........i am using a pt 4000 on the street......
I was running this exact same stall...its people like this that back my reasoning to do ALL my own work. even if i dont kno how to do something thats what ls1tech is for. too many ignorant people at these places for me to trust...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dont listin to BS, I told the local trans shop owner in my area I wanted a 3500+ stall and he said it was too much and that his 2nd gen camaro had a 3500 but only races it. lol
I just knew never to go to him for any performance issues, I have about a 42-4400 stall in that car with almost no mods and love it wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

I can't believe that there are that many people out there still that don't know about the LSX's characteristics, it has been around for 10 years now and there are still people out there that don't understand, its frustrating as hell
Old 08-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ratchthed its too bad you are not closer looking at you website makes me envy anyone in your area who needs tranny work, Texas is along way from Wisconsin though. Although this guy is way off on what stalls these cars car run he was right when he told me that a box shift kit will not do justice to this tranny as there are sevos and electronics that need to be considered as well.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

it really has nothing to do with lsx at all and more to do with what trans we have. Most of thoes guys that flip out with a high stall are the 3 speed guys (turbo 350/400) from way back when, and NO LOCK UP CONVERTER and probably 3.73 and higher rear gears. Combine a 3 speed with rear gears and no lock up, that bitch is going to be screaming mad just to do 65. Add another gear (4 speed) and more important(lock up) its no worse than stock doing 65. You also have to remember that most of thoes guys were moding cars when there was no internet, meaning you wouldnt have a forum to chat with people from across the world, to see what combos they are running and compair your times and mods. If you were around when the lsx based cars came out you might remember when a 11.9 was bragging that you had a hot set up and 400+rwhp was alot. Now look at how things are with all the different combos out there,the different turbo kits,superchargers,radical cams/heads that are out there. Think i said enough why they just dont know, hell i always get the "oh you have an automatic, should have gotten a stick,its so much faster" Then you try to inform them that you have a high stall converter and they just blow you off as if a converter doesnt mean ****.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
it really has nothing to do with lsx at all and more to do with what trans we have. Most of thoes guys that flip out with a high stall are the 3 speed guys (turbo 350/400) from way back when, and NO LOCK UP CONVERTER and probably 3.73 and higher rear gears. Combine a 3 speed with rear gears and no lock up, that bitch is going to be screaming mad just to do 65. Add another gear (4 speed) and more important(lock up) its no worse than stock doing 65. You also have to remember that most of thoes guys were moding cars when there was no internet, meaning you wouldnt have a forum to chat with people from across the world, to see what combos they are running and compair your times and mods. If you were around when the lsx based cars came out you might remember when a 11.9 was bragging that you had a hot set up and 400+rwhp was alot. Now look at how things are with all the different combos out there,the different turbo kits,superchargers,radical cams/heads that are out there. Think i said enough why they just dont know, hell i always get the "oh you have an automatic, should have gotten a stick,its so much faster" Then you try to inform them that you have a high stall converter and they just blow you off as if a converter doesnt mean ****.
He has it right on the money !

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Another reason to not go to a local transmission shop for repairs or upgrades on these units. The man is an idiot. He has no idea how to make a combination work. He has no idea about your car!!! You would be a fool to engage in business with him. Good Luck. g
Truer words were never spoken. You can't go to a local tranny shop and expect to get good advice about our LS1/4L60e hi-stall combination.

Shifts with a higher stall are going to feel soft and slow with stock tuning - you almost can't feel the shifts. Because the smaller TC puts out less fluid volume, you need to increase fluid flow throughout the transmission. The Transgo shift kit will compensate for this. Together with some tuning, it will result in satisfying shifts and great overall performance.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:32 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by J-Bru-Ha Z-28
Ratchthed its too bad you are not closer looking at you website makes me envy anyone in your area who needs tranny work, Texas is along way from Wisconsin though. Although this guy is way off on what stalls these cars car run he was right when he told me that a box shift kit will not do justice to this tranny as there are sevos and electronics that need to be considered as well.
There are many good shops here in the Chicago land area that could install a shift kit for you. Personally your trans already has a corvette servo that is just fine for almost all applications. I have used it in 9 second 4l60e transmissions so I know it works. If you were to remove the trans and bring it to me, I would be more than happy to open, inspect, and install the kit for you. In most cases the trans could use some fresh 3-4 clutches and a band should be installed. We do not work on cars otherwise I would say just bring it down. Good luck and let me know if there is something we can help you with. Vince
Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

You beat me to it Vince... I was just about to suggest that the OP gives you a call!

Good Luck guys...

g
Old 08-02-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he has no idea what hes talking about, thats a fine stall for street there people running 4000+ street with no problems.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1noob
he has no idea what hes talking about, thats a fine stall for street there people running 4000+ street with no problems.
yea like me
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
it really has nothing to do with lsx at all and more to do with what trans we have. Most of thoes guys that flip out with a high stall are the 3 speed guys
It has a little bit to do with the LSx, just because of the fact that they make better power up high and hold on to it longer than other engines. For instance a 4000 stall might be a little much on an LT1 with 5200 shift points.

Jon
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

idiot, i have a 4000..
Old 08-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
It has a little bit to do with the LSx, just because of the fact that they make better power up high and hold on to it longer than other engines. For instance a 4000 stall might be a little much on an LT1 with 5200 shift points.

Jon
that is true of course the type of cam (duration/lift) means alot as well. An ideal converter would have a stall speed that would match the peak torque rpm. Now of course you will often see guys making post switching from a 3,500 stall to a 4,400 stall with a stock cam and still post better times even though a 4,400 stall is usually past the torque peak of the stock cam. Like i said internet helps to spread the knowledge of what parts some guys have tried and their gains/losses. Like said earlier if you were around (year 2000 or so) you would remember when a 3,500 stall was up there for a street car, you will now see people saying 4,000 or even 4,400 is fine for the street.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

So do all the 4L60E trannys have the corvette servo? And if so why do we refer to them as a corvette servo? I just had another local guy here tell me that he can take care of everything electronically via a tune, i thought that just dealt with shift points and line pressure, and I thought it was not a great idea to increase the line pressure electronically as a means of getting firmer shifts.

Bear with me here guys the trans is the one part that I have the least knowledge about, hence the posts.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im glad we have LS1TECH and some damn good top notch tranny builders man...alot of damn knowledge..