Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the Est. from trans shop..take a look.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got the Est. from trans shop..take a look.

Here is the figure from the Trans shop that's trying to screw me.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon to pick it up, with a trailer due to the fact that I still have to install the rear drive shaft.

EST. 4L60E
1-Case $640.35
1-Converter $268.42
1-Filter $39.35
1-Band $23.21
1-Master Kit $309.01
12-qt. of fluid $ 54.00
1-Drive shaft used $225.00
1-Tail housing $245.64

16.5 hrs. of Labor @ 65. per hr.

Total Labor $1072...
Total Parts $1804...

Tax $ 237..

Grand Total $ 3114..

To refresh my story... I pulled both drive shafts and T-case myself... I will install the rear drive shaft myself.
I purchased the shaft myself that he's charging 225 for.

The original est. plus the adapter tail housing that was broke was ~1300. Then he said the case had a crack in it.. I've called two different transmission shops and they said a used/new case will run from 100 to ~350.

So at the most I figure the total should be ~$1650 -1800.

Why in the hell would he expect me to pay $3114.

If he cannot show me receipts for the case, tail shaft, etc. I’m not going to pay for it.

Please, anyone with Trans pricing experience let me know what you think.

Thanks

Oh, and he taxed his labor.

Last edited by UB2SLO; 08-22-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

By law he can't exceed a written estimate by more than 10% without prior agreement from you.

That is extremely expensive for a case, and filter...
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I dont know about what things go for in that area , I can tell you this , For a shop there is a markup on everything and there should be. They have rent and insurance and lights and employees to pay etc etc so the parts are not going to be what you can buy them for.
Now if he is charging you for stuff he didn't buy then thats a different story entirely and he should have given you a general quote before the work was done and you should have gotten that in writing.
Good luck with whatever happens

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

wow sounds like a good deal
Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol.. you're getting screwed. why not have ACE do it? you're kinda local
Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He is the owner/operator of his shop…No other employees. The est. was verbal and ~$1300 but I didn’t sign any contract authorizing him to perform work on the vehicle.

The only thing that gets me is that everything was going as planned except that he said the case had a crack in it and he would have to get it fixed or buy another case.

So, even if the case cost $600 then the total would be around $1900. Not $3100.

That price didn’t come until my insurance stepped in and said they would pay for the repairs.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

So the insurance company is going to foot the bill ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would have went with one of our sponsors!! for 3 grand bro you can have the best built tranny our sponsors have to offer!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by performabuilt
So the insurance company is going to foot the bill ?
Yes, minus the deductable.

But even though their paying, they gave me the check cause the truck is paid for, but if he didn’t do the work or use the parts why should I give him the money he’s asking.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
i would have went with one of our sponsors!! for 3 grand bro you can have the best built tranny our sponsors have to offer!
No ****.... That's my point. At first I didn't think the insurance was going to pay. That's why I had to take to a local shop that was around avg. on price but was able to start right on it.

And after he found out the insurance was paying... The price almost tripled.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by UB2SLO
Yes, minus the deductable.

But even though their paying, they gave me the check cause the truck is paid for, but if he didn’t do the work or use the parts why should I give him the money he’s asking.
Sounds to me like both of you are looking to pocket a little extra cash Why don't you set down with him perhaps the two of you can come up with a compromise.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-22-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No ****.... That's my point. At first I didn't think the insurance was going to pay. That's why I had to take to a local shop that was around avg. on price but was able to start right on it.

And after he found out the insurance was paying... The price almost tripled.

yeah dude, i think he is trying to pull a fast one on you. that sounds waaay too fishy man.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

What do you mean by CASE? transfer case or transmission case?
I already tracked down all your posts to figure out what transmission you had, complete info helps.

His prices are probably looking like this:
Complete 4L60E core from a junkyard, with the t-case and tail housing $100-$500
And thats being generous, I used to buy that stuff for $20 to $300
Driveshafts are around $40 with the yoke.

It sounds like he's got a supplier that likes to **** him, so he carries it right down to the customer.

But he's got to pay his overhead, what a crock of ****.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like both of you are looking to pocket a little extra cash Why don't you set down with him perhaps the two of you can come up with a compromise.
True, It does sound that way. But its not. I just got off the phone with him and now he's saying my truck won't start. WTF

I would be willing to compromise with him but I just don't agree to just hand over extra money to a shop for work that wasn't done on my truck. Even if it was not my money to begin with.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
What do you mean by CASE? transfer case or transmission case?

Transmission case.

And one day I went by the shop and he wasn't there but my truck was on the lift and some friend of his working on his own car told me that he took my case to have it welded.

I hope not.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well good luck , Hopefully the two of you can come to some agreement and your truck not starting is something simple,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^True, I do hope he's willing to come to some agreement.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Transmission case.

And one day I went by the shop and he wasn't there but my truck was on the lift and some friend of his working on his own car told me that he took my case to have it welded.

I hope not.
Wow, thats what this country is turning into. Pretty sad.

Theres no excuse for this ****, no overhead, no 'you got to pay your electric bills' and all that bullshit.
For a shop there is a markup on everything and there should be. They have rent and insurance and lights and employees to pay etc etc so the parts are not going to be what you can buy them for.
Does that justify ripping people off to do so?
Yet it seems they all stick together. This pisses me off.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Wow, thats what this country is turning into. Pretty sad.

Theres no excuse for this ****, no overhead, no 'you got to pay your electric bills' and all that bullshit.
Does that justify ripping people off to do so?
Yet it seems they all stick together. This pisses me off.

No ripping people off is wrong but at the same time I hear many people say well I can do this or that or go buy this myself for X amount so why is it the shop cost so much more and those are the reasons.

In this case tough the insurance company paid minus the deductible II understand what was ask, This came as was a result of the shop giving that larger amount as a bill , Now there are of course ethical issues from both sides, The mechanic well he may have priced high once he heard the insurance company was paying "hospitals do this every day" But at the same time the OP took the check from the insurance company for this amount, So if anyone is getting the shaft it would IMO be the insurance company? Of course no one has love for any insurance company. The question I think here is not so much that the mechanic over charged since if he hadn't the check would have been much smaller maybe the 1300-1800 original quote but rather who gets whatever wind fall there is from this.
This is why I said they should get together and negotiate and agreement, Of course they could always give the excess to the insurance company I suppose instead. Though I personally have never collected from and insurance company I have seen friends do so and to date I have yet to see anyone hand back any excess lol

Call 888-744-6542

Last edited by performabuilt; 08-22-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No ripping people off is wrong but at the same time I hear many people say well I can do this or that or go buy this myself for X amount so why is it the shop cost so much more and those are the reasons.

In this case tough the insurance company paid minus the deductible II understand what was ask, This came as was a result of the shop giving that larger amount as a bill , Now there are of course ethical issues from both sides, The mechanic well he may have priced high once he heard the insurance company was paying "hospitals do this every day" But at the same time the OP took the check from the insurance company for this amount, So if anyone is getting the shaft it would IMO be the insurance company? Of course no one has love for any insurance company. The question I think here is not so much that the mechanic over charged since if he hadn't the check would have been much smaller maybe the 1300-1800 original quote but rather who gets whatever wind fall there is from this.
This is why I said they should get together and negotiate and agreement, Of course they could always give the excess to the insurance company I suppose instead. Though I personally have never collected from and insurance company I have seen friends do so and to date I have yet to see anyone hand back any excess lol

I Agree.

I called the adjuster to discuss the est. and he told me that if there was any Discrepancies, just get the shop to adjust the bill and for me to keep the extra. Not saying that's right on my part but the Adjuster also said if I don't feel that the work was completed then to call him and they would investigate it. But for me not to worry about it cause my truck would be taken care of.

So, if the owner wants to work something out .. OK , But if he trys to tell me that I owe the entire $3100 and I have to come out of pocket for the extra $500 cause of the deductable then we'll have problems.