Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWBIE: What all is needed for a 700R4 Case Swap? Advised against for a newb to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NEWBIE: What all is needed for a 700R4 Case Swap? Advised against for a newb to do?

Hi,

I just got a trans from a fellow, and the place around the output shaft (where the bearing is) is cracked quite significantly (I have pictures in another thread I'm sure I can dig up) and I need to now swap cases. Since I spent all my money on this trans ($550, pulled off free shipping through a friend), and don't want to have to pay to ship it back to him to swap cases, and back to me, I figure I'll do it myself and have him buy parts. The trans is approx 6K miles old and has a 2500 stall. My old trans should have a good case (no reason not to), so I figure I'll use it. Local TSI will charge too much, so no point in taking it to them, but I haven't checked other places.

Anyways, does anyone have advice on it, or a list of seals and gaskets needed? I checked out the threads about tear-downs, but I don't plan to (unless it's unavoidable) to take EVERYTHING apart, so that sadly wasn't too much help. If anyone has pictures or info on how to do it, that'd be awesome. Then finally, if you don't think it'd be wise for me to go about this, as in there's a high risk factor of pooching the whole thing, please chime in! I'm not a veteran mechanic, but by no means a novice, I just haven't dabbled in transmissions at all. My friend has tore one or two apart, but doesn't want to risk it himself and be held accountable for screwed it up.

So, that's my situation! If it matters, car is in my sig for application. Changes to sig are 3.42s, no TB (haven't install the 58 yet, not that it matters for a 700R4) and drag radials (which will be swapped soon for Eagle GS-C tires).

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You mean the extension housing or the case?
If it's cracked around the rear CASE bushing I can guarantee you there is major damage in the transmission, it's probably not even worth messing with.

Just curious, why do you have pics in another thread if you're asking about it here? Can't you post the same pics here?
And I'm not looking to go link chasing, not asking for a link. And what ran you out of that thread to this one?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
You mean the extension housing or the case?
If it's cracked around the rear CASE bushing I can guarantee you there is major damage in the transmission, it's probably not even worth messing with.

Just curious, why do you have pics in another thread if you're asking about it here? Can't you post the same pics here?
And I'm not looking to go link chasing, not asking for a link. And what ran you out of that thread to this one?
Was in another thread because I originally asked for input there.

It's the case itself, not the bolt-on extension housing.

Here's the pics.

http://img508.imageshack.us/my.php?i...2583013gw3.jpg
http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3010876yj1.jpg

And a pic someone provided to show me the other side of where the crack is.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...I/08July05.jpg

If enough people think the trans will be actually 'junk' then I'll show him and request a refund. He's a member here, and generally a nice guy from my talking with him :\ I hope it doesn't go in that direction.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Very odd spot for a crack like that, I would suspect it was in a wreck or dropped.
It's not something that happens during normal use.
The shafts turn with no grinding noises?
Was the extension housing on it when you got it and did it look like it had been changed?
I wouldn't expect to pull the guts out of that and put it all in another case without a thorough inspection. And since you'll need to do all that you might as well rebuild it. So your plan seems like one thats potentially going to cost you more than it's worth in the long run.

I built my friend a damn good 700 with a converter for near $550 parts only. So if you're talking about tearing it down and doing it yourself, you might as well just rebuild your old one with the money this guy should give you back for this broken one.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I wasn't looking forward to THAT info...

The housing that was on the back was either near-new, or hot tanked heh It's a bright aluminum in color, but not what I'd call BRAND new. I wouldn't put it past being 6K miles old though. As far as it turning, it sounds and feels just fine. Only noise is a light click every 1/2 turn or so. And more of a sound like something is raised up, and then falls back down, if you follow me heh.

Me and my friend both thought it had maybe had a driveshaft or u-joints snap and cause a large amount of stress on the case.

Appreciate the info.

I'm going to wait and see if a few more people chime in before I link him to this. And I hope that if I have to get my money back, that it goes smoothly. I don't feel like having to file a complaint with Pay-Pal to get a refund
Old 08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Banned

The clicking is the governor.
I asked about the extension housing looking like it had been replaced because the original would most likely been broken during whatever impact caused the crack in the case.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I asked about the extension housing looking like it had been replaced because the original would most likely been broken during whatever impact caused the crack in the case.
I know you are That's why I said it looked fairly new, but not brand spanking new, as if he bought it before he shipped the trans.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The clicking is the GOVENOR and thats normal . If you planned on changing the case anyway I would just inspect everything while I was in there.
If your doig its your self get and ATSG manual and also note that all 700r4 cases are no created equal and will not interchange . You have AUX and NON aux to deal with.
If you decide to tackel it on your own and don't understand something just give me a yell. If you cant do it on your own o find someone to do it cheap you would be better to return it and either get your rebuilt or buy one built I will PM you why.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info! And I appreciate the offer to ask if I have any questions, means a bunch

Does that manual have info on what to look for on a tear down for signs of 'bad stuff'? And I presume that his 700R4 was out of his 1993 Firebird, so wouldn't that make my case compatible?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

if it is a 93 and your is a 93 that should work for a case swap .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Anyone else have an opinion on the matter, and what I should do? I already have pretty much made up my mind, but I'm all for making my life easier lol
Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula350
Anyone else have an opinion on the matter, and what I should do? I already have pretty much made up my mind, but I'm all for making my life easier lol
There used to be a sticky at the top of this forum. It was titled Basement A4 rebuild or something.
The guy never built a transmission before, tried it, took a lot of pics.
Finally when it came down to the test drive it wasn't right, I don't remember all the details, but he took that trans out and put a used one in.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

There used to be a sticky at the top of this forum. It was titled Basement A4 rebuild or something.
The guy never built a transmission before, tried it, took a lot of pics.
Finally when it came down to the test drive it wasn't right, I don't remember all the details, but he took that trans out and put a used one in.
lol Well that's not reassuring for my original plan, but that isn't the one I'm thinking of doing anyways
Old 08-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Banned

Wait, it's still there. Last quote from the guy May, 2007

Originally Posted by VORTECFCAR
Thanks for the anectdotes and encouragement guys.

I'll keep you in mind if I decide to lose the 12 bolt Ryan.

Frank (performabuilt) is right about the pressure issue. After driving a stock trans on the same tune it's become my belief that the 2-3 flare isn't a result of just a couple miss drilled holes. The stock trans shifted 1-2 harder than the 'rebuilt' unit ever did. Of course when I talked to PBA, we didn't talk about a possible pressure issue because I hadn't driven the stock trans hard yet and witnessed the difference.

I hate calling the pros to ask for advice when I don't have the time to get dirty and troubleshoot (although everyone has been very helpful).

One of these days...

Right now, the sight of a 4L60E or smell of trans fluid makes me want to
Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, mines a 4L60, so his is SLIGHTLY different when it comes to driving it when finished.

I did look at both the sticky threads though, they both seemed a bit more like full tear downs and going more in depth than I would've had to. Yet if I'd need to even look at every part to ensure it's still good, that would help. Problem being I don't have the book to do it and with what I plan to do, I won't need it.

Lets just hope I don't have to go through hoops.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula350
Well, mines a 4L60, .
Oh yea, thats right.
Give it a shot, whether you can do it or not depends on your abilities, only your close friends and family know that about you.
But knowing that you're going to try it and not run away is a good sign that you will be sucessful at it.

PS I'd still at the least pop out the 3-4 retaining ring and look at the clutches, it's usually the first to go and can be looked at with no special tools. And it's easy to get to, right on the end of the input drum.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh yea, thats right.
Give it a shot, whether you can do it or not depends on your abilities, only your close friends and family know that about you.
But knowing that you're going to try it and not run away is a good sign that you will be sucessful at it.

PS I'd still at the least pop out the 3-4 retaining ring and look at the clutches, it's usually the first to go and can be looked at with no special tools. And it's easy to get to, right on the end of the input drum.
I'd really love to dive into something like this, but it's taking up space at my friend's shop. The owner was gracious enough to lend me some money to buy the trans and use the facilities, but then it snowballed into this :\ While I could have installed it and gotten it out of there, that would've just been a mess. Same for putting my old one back in, I'd have to fork out money to fill it all back up again, only to go and drain it all when I get it rebuilt.

So I'm just going to ask for my money back and get mine rebuilt. In the long run, saves time and money. Even though a ton of time has been wasted already. Lets just hope I don't have to draw it out any longer :\

Thanks for all the input though!