Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my transmission trashed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my transmission trashed?

I'm kind of in a bind here because I just dropped a lot of money for a brand new rear because my 10 bolt blew only to fire it up and find out the tranny is more than likely done for.

A4 with a 4L65E and only 6k miles on it brand-new.

When I drop the car into the overdrive (4) selector the car just revs and won't move, same with drive (3). If I put it in 2 or 1 from a stop it will drive as normal, aside from the 1-2 shift slipping like all hell. Then after I get rolling I can put the car into drive (3) and it will shift into third, and the same for overdrive. But once I start to slow again those gears are no longer working.

Time for a Performabuilt level 2?

I have very little knowledge of transmissions so please dumb this down for me.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suspect an input sprag failure. Please take some time at what we have to offer. Vince
Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, my transmission just did the exact same thing...it was the sprag.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes its probably the sprag, Its a common secondary damage to a rear end failure

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

same thing happened to me, these sponsers are very well knowledged, givem a call.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys. The transmission only had 6k miles on it and is still under warranty from GM so looks like I won't be needing a built one just yet. Probably will get one before next racing season though as this one should last me through the winter.

And Vince, I feel that FLT, Performabuilt, and ACE are all on pretty much the same level and are all awesome transmission builders, the only reason I would go with Performabuilt is because they are located only an hour from me so it would make the process much easier in case of warranty/rebuild situations.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Agreed. See it quite often if the rear breaks violently. Some of the best tranny builders in the country on this site....they give good advice & see about everything you could imagine.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
ah hah very good to know.
and i hope you get your car going soon.good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6CamaroA4
And Vince, I feel that FLT, Performabuilt, and ACE are all on pretty much the same level and are all awesome transmission builders, the only reason I would go with Performabuilt is because they are located only an hour from me so it would make the process much easier in case of warranty/rebuild situations.
The difference between the Ace and FLT build is very similar that I know for fact as Gil and I have talked often about our builds. As for the PB unit and the other builds, there are some differences in which frictions are used, 2nd gear servo and the shift kit which is something I believe Frank has engineered up. Both Ace and FLT use a modified transgo kit. You will read success stories on all of the mentioned sponsors here. Thanks for the props. If warranty situations are your main concern, as I can not talk for the other sponsors on this, I would say go with us. We rarely have an issue with having to warranty a trans with our 6 month warranty. Being that PB is close to you, getting a trans warrantied only being a hour away sounds good if and when you need to. Good luck. Vince
Old 09-23-2008, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6CamaroA4
Thanks guys. The transmission only had 6k miles on it and is still under warranty from GM so looks like I won't be needing a built one just yet. Probably will get one before next racing season though as this one should last me through the winter.

Just give us a yell when you need us.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-23-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

definately the sprag took a dump as mentioned by others, had the same thing happen to me and i could manually shift it and it would be fine. Put it in drive and it would do nothing...