Sponsored by:

Harsh 1-2 shift, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harsh 1-2 shift, what can I do?

Hey All,
I recently picked up a 2001 Trans-Am WS6 and the 1-2 shift is SUPER Harsh. From what I have read it looks like this is possibly controlled by the computer and not with a shift kit like on older transmissions, is this true?

If that is true, where can I find someone to set the computer back to stock or at least make the shift a bit less harsh.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

it could have a shift kit in it and if thats the case then it would be an easy fix for you since most shift kits use washers in the accumulator to make it shift harder. There could be up to 3 washers in it. All you would have to do is take 1 or 2 of them out. Simple drain the pan,drop the pan and look for the accumulator and remove the 3 bolts(its under some spring pressure so hold it) and take it down so you can remove the washers. Then install the accumulator,pan and refill oil.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Awesome, I will take a look at that, I was going to change the oil and filter in the tranny this weekend anyway. If there are no washers then I can assume it doesn't have a shift kit?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Ok, I have looked and I have no idea what the accumulator looks like. Can anyone post a picture so that I know what I am looking for?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

its at the front of the trans.. you have the pan off right? Its in the front passenger side held in by 3 bolts, looks like an aluminum cup and round.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Ah, I remember seeing something like that. The pics of accumulators that I saw online made me think it was something completely different. So the washers will just be on the inside of the aluminum cup to shim the spring and give it more pressure?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

if there is a shift kit in that trans then there should be washers in there. The washers take up space to limit the accumulator making for a harsher shift..