Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

17 Years old... and Time for COLLEGE.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no math professor, but I can keep up with what they're doing. Yeah.. taking 15 hours this semester.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JustAnother95
If your set on making big money, mechanic is not the way to go. A lot of tech schools throw out figures about how you can make 50K plus comin out of graduation but the truth is that this is I know this personally because I'm a volvo tech working at a dealership. Don't get me wrong though I love my job and i'm completely happy with what i make but a mechanic's salary can leave some people wanting more.
Our program is very specialized at SAM. We don't train mechanics, we train machinists/engine builders. We don't do alignments or oil changes or brake jobs. We build horsepower. That is what we are all about. We have a placement rate of over 95% in the motorsports industry. That is placing grads on race teams, race shops, high end street car shops, and other engine shops around the country. We do not place grads at dealerships or quick lube and tire shops. As for payscale, on the low end guys are starting out from $34K-$40K a year, but it really depends on where you go, what you do, and who you work for. We have plenty of grads that start over $50k a year and that is just starting out. Feel free to pm me any questions.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 26, I graduated 4 years ago with a degree in manufacturing engineering technology (minor in automotive) from a 4 year university. I work as an engineer in the automotive industry, I like my job, and make decent money.

With that said, if I could go back I would consider two other options that I never did before. 1, get a general degree in a science/math, such as a bacholors of physics. Being a generalized degree, and not specific to one field/area it opens alot of doors. 2. the medical field is always good. Lots of jobs, good money, good schedules, work with lots of women...

So one thing that I realized is just because cars are my passion, doesn't necessarily mean they had to be my career..

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMSZ28
Our program is very specialized at SAM. We don't train mechanics, we train machinists/engine builders. We don't do alignments or oil changes or brake jobs. We build horsepower. That is what we are all about. We have a placement rate of over 95% in the motorsports industry. That is placing grads on race teams, race shops, high end street car shops, and other engine shops around the country. We do not place grads at dealerships or quick lube and tire shops. As for payscale, on the low end guys are starting out from $34K-$40K a year, but it really depends on where you go, what you do, and who you work for. We have plenty of grads that start over $50k a year and that is just starting out. Feel free to pm me any questions.
Thanks, you really have opened my eyes...
And ill certainly think about it.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
I am 26, I graduated 4 years ago with a degree in manufacturing engineering technology (minor in automotive) from a 4 year university. I work as an engineer in the automotive industry, I like my job, and make decent money.

With that said, if I could go back I would consider two other options that I never did before. 1, get a general degree in a science/math, such as a bacholors of physics. Being a generalized degree, and not specific to one field/area it opens alot of doors. 2. the medical field is always good. Lots of jobs, good money, good schedules, work with lots of women...

So one thing that I realized is just because cars are my passion, doesn't necessarily mean they had to be my career..

Just my thoughts.

Would it be possible to maybe a Registered Nurse , And get a job of sam?
Or am i not thinking this thruw to well? lol.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
Thanks, you really have opened my eyes...
And ill certainly think about it.
if you get serious about SAM then let me know, im looking for a roomate for when i move down there lol
Old 02-12-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My father gae me a very nice talk yesterday and i think im going to UT austin, Stayig in my local town, (Brownsville) doing my basic here then move up to austin in a year or so! (but i do want to go to sam, but my dad is not so thrilled about sam) So im going to be a long horn?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am 19 in was in the same boat as you at one time. I am in my second year in engineering school (mechanical) and think it's the best route. For that "hands on" experience like tech degrees and uti i am opting to just do that kind of work on my own. Build up your own car by yourself, tune it by yourself, learn everything you can during your time at school. Next year I plan to join our schools Formula SAE team and start looking for internships. That way by the time your ready to grad you will IMO have both the degree and experience.

Also I don't want to effect your decision but if your not smart in math in general DONT go this route. Everything comes down to it. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brings up a good point. ^

If you aren't smart in math, what are some alternatives to engineering while retaining the same type of career?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Engineer

I went to Lincoln tech and ended going back to college anyway.
Lincoln tech was a fun time for me though, and I don't exactly regret it, but I would push you to just go straight to college.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

My father gae me a very nice talk yesterday and i think im going to UT austin, Stayig in my local town, (Brownsville) doing my basic here then move up to austin in a year or so! (but i do want to go to sam, but my dad is not so thrilled about sam) So im going to be a long horn?
Why is your dad not thrilled about SAM?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMSZ28
Why is your dad not thrilled about SAM?
not to sure....
But every time i mention sam he brings up austin,
i guess he really wants me to go there?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
if you get serious about SAM then let me know, im looking for a roomate for when i move down there lol
I MAY be headin down next year at some point. If I don't like ATC, I'm going down to SAM. I know I'd been in contact with someone from there a couple times, but his name escapes me. Maybe it was DMS?

Edit: It would be this year, wouldn't it. Dang, I'm behind on dates haha.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

not to sure....
But every time i mention sam he brings up austin,
i guess he really wants me to go there?
Nothing against your dad, but you've got to control your life. Do what you want and truely interests you.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, get that ME degree or whatever engineering degree. You will start out making at least $45K and I think that is on the low side, more like $55K. What I never understood is it takes ALOT of technical skill to be a mechanic (at least a good one that can diagnose problems, not just fix problems, and who knows diagnostics with a scanner) but they make much less on average than alot of other jobs that require that much technical skill. Anybody can go in an office setting and learn a job but it takes years of experience to be a good mechanic and make good money IMO. That being said, work smarter, not harder and start working on your engineering degree then take community classes in Auto-Tech if you want.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get the 4 year degree. I did the opposite, got my Associates in Design Engineering, and now i'm currently taking night classes, and its going to take me twice as long to finish my bachelors and all the while i make liveable wages, but not what i want to be making.

I regret not finishing my 4 year before going out into the world and trying to support myself ie. buying a home, and cars etc. I mean im 23 own a home, own all my cars and dirtbikes and 4 wheelers but my friends who stuck it out and finshed their degrees, have nicers homes, nicer cars etc.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will say this though, having job experience while going to college, makes college much easier. I put forth minimal effort in all of my classes and usually recieve 3.5 or higher.. Working in the business world, really conditions you in ways you dont even realize. It also allows you to pick out the professors who also have real world experience, and the ones who have obviously taught their entire lives, and know nothing but what they were able to read in a library.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im still very confused
i was thinking i wanted to go to austin...
but i just would like to go to sam so much
and have a crazy dream like every one else does
of making my own speed shop....
Its one of those things u really want you know?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im 17, A junior..

I plan on going into the Air force for a couple years, than heading off to SAM.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
Im 17, A junior..

I plan on going into the Air force for a couple years, than heading off to SAM.
Can you give me some insight on the benifits?

Quick Reply: 17 Years old... and Time for COLLEGE.