Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

17 Years old... and Time for COLLEGE.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 17 Years old... and Time for COLLEGE.

Well my very fun senior year is about to come to and end.
And my dad is really pushing me to decide what i want to do with my life.
Honestly i would love to be wokring for GM performance and working on there new engines and etc. (engineer) I was thinking Ut austin or even maybe kingsville... , But 5 years of school is going to kill me! But ofcorse... i want to make those big bucks.... i would love to work as a mechanic... but i also dont want to be changing oil filters for hondas for the rest of my dam life....
I was thinking of going to UTI and SAM, but after i go to these schools.. who would pick me up? and from what i see theres alot of people going to sam and uti and becoming a tech.

So can some of my fellow LS1tech members give me some insight....

So i go for an Engineer?(mechanical)\
Become a Tech? (UTI & Sam)
Or become another guy starting his own speed&tune shop.

Thanks for reading!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

start by trying engineering school you can ALWAYS go down from there to your other options, and you can do any of your 3 options w/ a ME degree
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Do what you love and you will never work one day in your life.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Launching!

i wish i woulda went that way after high school. i had a career ending injury at work and now its back to the drawing board lol. im looking into unoh. i dont know anything about it but a lot of guys who went there have nothing but good things to say about it. i think its more of a regular 2 or 4 year college with a good automotive program. i may be wrong tho but im sure someone will have more info on it. i dont think its for engineering but from what i hear its a lot better than uti and similar.....just what ive heard tho so dont take my word on it. figured id bring it bring it up and see whose got info on it
Old 02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tx91z28
start by trying engineering school you can ALWAYS go down from there to your other options, and you can do any of your 3 options w/ a ME degree
this ^

im doing it backasswards but with what i know now, it would of been nice to do it first to get it out of the way. at 17, all i could care about was parties, fast cars and faster women so i commend you for putting some thought into it.
one advantage i must say about working as a tech (auto, elec, HVACR, whatever) before getting a degree is that while im in school im not broke, and not waiting on that degree before i can start making some serious cash. i can't tell you how many friends i have that are working jobs making much less then me with 60-100k in student loans.
the infield experience is worth its weight in gold IMO, it gives you a much more rounded perspective on how things work in the real world.
in my case, im also getting school paid since its related to my field and a tax write off for the buisness.
do what you feel is right for you, you can always go back to school or change things if your unhappy. best of luck to you
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

im 17 at Texas State. After, im going to SAM
Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Join the military (Free housing, food, medical ect.) Save up your money, and after 4 years get out, go to school and reep the benifits of the G.I. bill. Just my opinion.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im 19 and in my 2nd semester of college. I was between medical field and engineering which would decide my school between kingsville A&M and Corpus Christi A&M
I chose to go medical field and am not looking back

choose one and follow it through. How are you paying for school? scholarships do wonders as well as grants.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Im 17 and enjoying my senior year also. I did alot of research and SAM sounded like it was right up my alley. I then set up a tour of the school and headed down there. I talked alot with Dave Saunders and decided it was definatly for me and im going to be starting there in july. AWESOME facilities and houston is a really cool city. I also really like the small school atmosphere that SAM offers.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrchyzy16
Do what you love and you will never work one day in your life.
I agree but I also want to make a nice sum of money so i can supply my hobbies and family if I ever get one
Old 02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
i wish i woulda went that way after high school. i had a career ending injury at work and now its back to the drawing board lol. im looking into unoh. i dont know anything about it but a lot of guys who went there have nothing but good things to say about it. i think its more of a regular 2 or 4 year college with a good automotive program. i may be wrong tho but im sure someone will have more info on it. i dont think its for engineering but from what i hear its a lot better than uti and similar.....just what ive heard tho so dont take my word on it. figured id bring it bring it up and see whose got info on it

I had the same idea I'm just worried that there might be too many techs out there and I get stuck changing filters with. Being a tech
Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KevinR
Join the military (Free housing, food, medical ect.) Save up your money, and after 4 years get out, go to school and reep the benifits of the G.I. bill. Just my opinion.
I had this in mind for a while but im not too crazy about the army or any other service ....:/
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does any one know how much a grad from uti or Sam get paid getting out school any where close to a mechanical engineering...?
Worth it making my own tune and speed shop ?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does any one know how much a grad from uti or Sam get paid getting out school any where close to a mechanical engineering...?
Worth it making my own tune and speed shop ?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

i can tell you a ME grad from texas A&M college station averages 64k first year out, min 38k/max 120k last year i believe, about SAM someone else will have to chime in on that
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

I'm less than a year from getting my MET degree. That's just a Mechanical Engineering degree without the theory. From what I've seen the market remains good for Mech Engineers. 5 years of school isn't bad when you focus on the semester at hand. I never thought I'd make it this far. NEVER be afraid to learn too much. The more you know the better off you'll be. Unless you have a ton of experience for being 17 it's not likely that you'll have a "reputable" shop making tons of money anytime in the next few years. If it were me, I'd go through school, learn as much as I could, then learn some more under a certified Engineer then decide from there. Who knows.. Fiat may be looking for engineers as soon as the engineers they have now retire.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cameano
I'm less than a year from getting my MET degree. That's just a Mechanical Engineering degree without the theory. From what I've seen the market remains good for Mech Engineers. 5 years of school isn't bad when you focus on the semester at hand. I never thought I'd make it this far. NEVER be afraid to learn too much. The more you know the better off you'll be. Unless you have a ton of experience for being 17 it's not likely that you'll have a "reputable" shop making tons of money anytime in the next few years. If it were me, I'd go through school, learn as much as I could, then learn some more under a certified Engineer then decide from there. Who knows.. Fiat may be looking for engineers as soon as the engineers they have now retire.
what do you mean as in theory?
and how are the classes?
how much math
science?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

For example: my physics class taught me how to apply the formulas instead of why they are what they are. That kinda thing... The classes up until this year were not difficult. They just build upon eachother. Calc 2 has been the most important class of my college career because everything you learn in cal2 applies to most everything else. As far as math goes, I had to have cal 1, 2, and differential equations. DE was the killer, but is completely doable as long as you know how to study and know cal2. The only science I had was chem 1. That's all that's necessary for my degree. No biology or things that like that. The only reason for chem 1 is to know the structure of metals and from that learn how they fail, etc.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cameano
For example: my physics class taught me how to apply the formulas instead of why they are what they are. That kinda thing... The classes up until this year were not difficult. They just build upon eachother. Calc 2 has been the most important class of my college career because everything you learn in cal2 applies to most everything else. As far as math goes, I had to have cal 1, 2, and differential equations. DE was the killer, but is completely doable as long as you know how to study and know cal2. The only science I had was chem 1. That's all that's necessary for my degree. No biology or things that like that. The only reason for chem 1 is to know the structure of metals and from that learn how they fail, etc.
so your pretty good in math?
And your going full time?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

If your set on making big money, mechanic is not the way to go. A lot of tech schools throw out figures about how you can make 50K plus comin out of graduation but the truth is that this is I know this personally because I'm a volvo tech working at a dealership. Don't get me wrong though I love my job and i'm completely happy with what i make but a mechanic's salary can leave some people wanting more.

Quick Reply: 17 Years old... and Time for COLLEGE.