Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic ATF

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Synthetic ATF

Did a search here and didn't find any mention of using synthetic ATF in a performance application.
My builder prefers AMSOIL. Although he's primarily a jobber shop this trans is filled with good parts. Somewhere it was suggested that we use Red Alto frictions and Kolene steels. That's been covered.
Although I've an Edge converter with a lockup clutch, when Yank supplied another converter it was stated that synthetic not be used. That was 15 years ago. I've reached out to Edge for their recommendation.
Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2024, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 522 Likes on 363 Posts

I run DEX6 in mine ,

Old 07-08-2024, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

A common theme among my racing friends.
I've got a couple of.jugs of AMSOIL which according to their literature is Dex VI compatible.
The fluid you're using, is it off the GM parts shelf?
Old 07-08-2024, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-08-2024, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

.I've ran synthetic amsoil in all of my autos for almost 30 years no problems due to fluid type. If amsoil smokes it's all it takes is a call to them after that.

We swap all the DPS and county trucks in our area to amsoil and it solves all the shift problems and converter problems they experience on factory oils.

It's good stuff I think what you will find is the camp is split some say yay some say nay the above is based off how we have used it at our shop and in personal cars none of these are race cars either but get driven pretty damm hard the same.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 07-08-2024 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FranksCustomTrans
Yep. Good old AC Delco. One of my cohorts swears by it.
It's the warning from Yank to not run a synthetic that prompted the switch to the same oil as you use. Prior to that we all ran Mobil1 full synthetic. Interestingly, that's what was in the latest transmission that ate up the clutch pack although I'm going to bet that was builder error.
Waiting to hear what my converter people have to say. If they say it doesn't matter, then it'll be the AMSOIL I already have. If not, I have a likely alternative.
Thanks Frank.

Last edited by 67LSX454; 07-08-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
.I've ran synthetic amsoil in all of my autos for almost 30 years no problems due to fluid type. If amsoil smokes it's all it takes is a call to them after that.

We swap all the DPS and county trucks in our area to amsoil and it solves all the shift problems and converter problems they experience on factory oils.

It's good stuff I think what you will find is the camp is split some say yay some say nay the above is based off how we have used it at our shop and in personal cars none of these are race cars either but get driven pretty damm hard the same.
Like most things in hot rodding and high performance, everybody has a preference. I'd expect a split decision.
Good to hear the AMSOIL getting some props. My sole reasoning for using it is that the builder recommends it it. If this trans goes south, then at least I've followed his advise and probably have recourse for repair. But I really hope it doesn't come to that . Again.
Thanks for the input.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

The verdict may be in.
First off, Andre at Edge says the synthetic is a "fine choice". It's his clutch in his converter so I have to trust him on that. This is in contrast to Yank.
A little digging at GearStar (say what you will) and from their resource page it states, " ...it would be useful to settle for a pure synthetic base stock since it is the best ATF to use for your performance transmission." Fair enough. Although that statement points to not all synthetic ATFs are created equally.

See as I already have 20 quarts of AMSOIL, this looks to be way I'm going.
If I hadn't already gone along with builders preference, it would the AC Delco posted above. Seems no downside and I've got history (through others) that use it exclusively.

If there's a compelling argument one way or the other, I'm still listening.

Last edited by 67LSX454; 07-08-2024 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The Dex 6 is pretty good I think the biggest problem that most of us wont do is push the change interval too damm long. The OEMS have done a good job convincing people to never change the oil. In doing so the converters and or clutches fail from a wore out additive package. This is mostly relating to all the newer 6,8,10 speed up trannys. Take it to a dealer and get the oh man trannys smoked time for a new one or a new truck. Just paid off oh snap thats terrible to hear.
In a a old 4L series and changed regularly ****'s good stuff and works just fine.

Ford has same problems with their LV and newer oils many a tranny is fixed from an oil changed and a few hundred miles drive time after servicing them.

Oil is the cheapest maintenance any of us can do.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (07-09-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 11:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,258 Likes on 879 Posts

From what my Father has taught me, currently all of the Automotive Manufacturers (Domestic and Foreign) are now following similar Service Plans.

They all direct the Vehicle Owner/ Operator to minimally Service the Power-Train Systems to the point of shortening the Vehicle's Life to roughly 100,000 Miles.

Then they leverage the Vehicle Owner/ Operator to trade in the current Vehicle, and purchase a New Vehicle; just to repeat the same ordeal in another 100,000 Miles.

-Marcello III
Old 07-10-2024, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The Synthetic oils have a very very long lifespan, But these are still mechanical devices always shedding materials , friction material, steel , bushings .
IMO the filter starts to be restricted long before the oil breaks down.
MY Own car I drain pan into clean container. Remove and change filter, then refill with the oil through a paint filter. I have done this twice at 24k miles since build, Once at 1000 miles and again just recently. Unless oil is burnt, or badly contaminated (means you have some other issue) this is all I suggest to my customers also and assuming a daily driver average 12k miles a year i suggest 1 time a year though could probably go much more with no issues after the first change.
I NEVER suggest a flush as to me they are pointless.

Quick Reply: Synthetic ATF